Discuss Why are metal electrical boxes so small (compared to PVC?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mjonis

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all. First post. DIYer. Know enough to be dangerous (LOL).
It seems "standard" blue PVC boxes here in the US are 2.25" wide and depth can go up to 3" deep.

I've got an old house (built in 1955) with old BX armor shielded cable, and the old boxes are extremely difficult to put a dimmer or GFCI receptable in them. I tried hunting around and it seems if I want a 3" deep single gang box, it's only 2" wide. I can find a 2 1/8" wide box, but it's only like 2" deep.

Is there a reason that the metal boxes don't seem to be made as big as the blue PVC ones? (ie: 3.25" wide and 3" deep)?

Or is my Amazon/google-fu searching (single gang metal electrical box 2.25" wide) not sufficient and they are really made by someone somewhere?

Hello all. First post. DIYer. Know enough to be dangerous (LOL).
It seems "standard" blue PVC boxes here in the US are 2.25" wide and depth can go up to 3" deep.

I've got an old house (built in 1955) with old BX armor shielded cable, and the old boxes are extremely difficult to put a dimmer or GFCI receptable in them. I tried hunting around and it seems if I want a 3" deep single gang box, it's only 2" wide. I can find a 2 1/8" wide box, but it's only like 2" deep.

Is there a reason that the metal boxes don't seem to be made as big as the blue PVC ones? (ie: 3.25" wide and 3" deep)?

Or is my Amazon/google-fu searching (single gang metal electrical box 2.25" wide) not sufficient and they are really made by someone somewhere?
Since you have a house that was built in 1955 that’s all they had to work with. You can turn off the power to every box you need bigger and the box will probably have a mail holding it in so just tear it out and use a blue plastic cut in box. You will have to trim out the sheet rock to make it fit

Since you have a house that was built in 1955 that’s all they had to work with. You can turn off the power to every box you need bigger and the box will probably have a mail holding it in so just tear it out and use a blue plastic cut in box. You will have to trim out the sheet rock to make it fit

You can't (AFAIK) use BX metal/armor shielded cable with a plastic box (that's' what provides the ground as it were). Romex (NM-B) yes, but that would require re-wiring the entire house. Plus it doesn't answer the question (one would think nowadays with GFCI, etc. they'd make a bigger metal box).

You can't (AFAIK) use BX metal/armor shielded cable with a plastic box (that's' what provides the ground as it were). Romex (NM-B) yes, but that would require re-wiring the entire house. Plus it doesn't answer the question (one would think nowadays with GFCI, etc. they'd make a bigger metal box).
They do make metal boxes that’s plenty deep enough to accommodate MC cable which you didn’t mention

They do make metal boxes that’s plenty deep enough to accommodate MC cable which you didn’t mention
It’s not called bx cable it’s called MC or metal clad cable and check with your electrical parts house. That’s what you get when your working on an old house

It’s not called bx cable it’s called MC or metal clad cable and check with your electrical parts house. That’s what you get when your working on an old house

If you read my post, it's not the DEPTH, it's the WIDTH that's the issue.

We're almost 75 years later, and new construction in some places requires metal shielded cable/boxes, so one would think that someone somewhere makes a metal box that's the same size as the PVC boxes. If they don't, fine, is there some technical reason that it's that way, or is it one of the great mysteries of life?

The old cable was AC, not MC, they each have their own NEC articles, and installation requirements, one difference is AC requires the use of anti short bushings, & MC does not, & older AC cable without a bond strip is not suitable for grounding, in a fault the armor could be glowing red if it is relied on for a ground, as to metal boxes my preferred method is a 4X4 (1900) box, & a raised ring 1/8" deeper then the planned wall covering material, so for 1/2" drywall, use a 5/8" ring, & 5/8" use a 3/4" ring, using one the same depth will result in it being 1/8" shy of the finished surface, at trim out time there will not be any floating devices which is a pet peeve of mine when they are not nice & snug against the box & finished surface.

Reply to Why are metal electrical boxes so small (compared to PVC?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock