Discuss Why I feel electric shock when I pressing a 24V control button? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there
Normally we know people won't feel electric shock if they touch a live 24V cable.
but when I was working in a factory, many operators including me feels got a short electric shock when pressing a 24V reset button. It has been like this for several weeks, operators start using pens to press that button.
Maintenance engineer says that is normal static electric shock...
But why we don't get this kind of shock in other control buttons, is there have any possible problem could make a control button have electric shock during pressing.

Hi,how do you know that it is 24v ?
I would suggest further inspection,rather than pressin' n' guessin' ?

That reset button is used to reset a SICK Safety light fence, according to the series, control voltage is 24V.
Yes,but if that panel,or any transformers within,are supplied by other sources,the oppportunity exists,for a tingle of higher magnitude?

There are several possibilities here and it would mean a barrage of questions of which unless you know the control system wiring, various voltages etc you may have difficulty answering, what qualifications does your maintenance engineer have to make that claim, are they competent in following and understanding machinery control systems, do they understand floating voltages and how they can arise and the dangers they pose?

If this is static then the shock would be a rapid one which then disappears, does repeatedly touching the button give the same shock, if so this is unlikely to be static unless the machining process itself was generating a static voltage and the reset button was made and mounted in such a way it allow the voltage to ground through the person who next touched it.

I'm not buying the static theory.

Just because 24 volts is required to operate a control it doesn't necessarily mean it won't give you a shock. If you supply one side of a 24v relay coil with 200 volts and the other side with 224 volts the relay will operate happily because the voltage difference across the coil is 24. The machine supervisor on the other hand will not operate happily if he comes into contact with any part of this '24v' supply because the difference between the 200v or 224v wire of the supply and the zero volt ground he's standing on is enough to give him a shock.

Voltage is a relative thing.

If people are using pens to operate the switch there's obviously a problem. Re-report it to the maintenance department and if they persist with the static theory then escalate the report to the health and safety responsible person / manager or escalate it through whatever channels are in place.

Had a similar issue with a light barrier reset button mounted on a metal fence around a machine. The fence was earthed and the operators had to walk over plastic "steady-stak" conveyors to press the button. Their bodies were getting a static charge and when they touched the metal fence around the button, they got a quick crack of a shock. The H&S man made me earth the fence again, despite my explanation. They still get shocks, they also use pens.
As Darkwood says, if it is static, they should get a quick crack then nothing until they build up a charge.

Reply to Why I feel electric shock when I pressing a 24V control button? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock