Discuss Why not use a latching relay to power the headlights instead of two regular relays? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There's no practical reason why a change over relay couldn't be used instead of two single pole relays, but it's debateable whether it's less complicated.
It's largely irrelevant these days, since there's a move to electronic solid state relays, which aren't available as a changeover.

My first reaction to the question was that you couldn't do it with a DPDT relay, as that didn't provide 'off', but if you are prepared to feed the full current through the headlight switch, you can. Turns out Jaguar did something similar back in the 1980's (Mk vi)
http://www.jag-lovers.org/lumps/tech/basics/relays2b.htm (not secure, but seems bona-fide - I know, old website, could't see same content on current site!)
This describes their 'latching' relay for the dipping function.
But the photo's show what appears to be a single pole latching relay, so I don't think this is exactly what the OP meant.
I suspect this was not popular because a 'special' relay like this is more expensive, possibly less reliable, and maybe needs beefier cables in more of the circuit, and beefier switches to carry the full load current.

Last edited:
First, thanks for all the responses.

Really? I thought they were like regular relays that switched the high current via a low current switch.
If you used C/O relay to switch between main and dipped beams, you'd still need another single pole relay to actually switch the headlamps on or off. More complex than a single relay for each function.

First, thanks for all the responses.

Really? I thought they were like regular relays that switched the high current via a low current switch.
Yes relays switch a high current with a low current to actuate them.
But you were asking about using a single relay for headlights, rather than the usual two relays.

A way you can sort of make that work is as described in the link I gave, where the current for both left and right lamps goes through the dashboard switch, and the relay acts as the dip switch.
If you use just one conventional relay to switch between main and dipped beam lights, how do you turn the lights off if not directly from the dash?
With another relay! Back to using two!

When you do route the full current through the dash switch, as Jaguar did below, you are not benefitting from the advantage of a relay (as you describe), which is why I said "beefier wiring"!

I'm not clear that one could use a single relay for the function: off/on dipped/on main/ off
Why not use a latching relay to power the headlights instead of two regular relays? 219A76AE-6429-43FF-9368-10F1B0A5B28A - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Why not use a latching relay to power the headlights instead of two regular relays? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock