Discuss Will a Fuse Finder do this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm working up an estimate for a board change for a flat in a small block.
Checking for the main incomers in the Dry riser cupboards and of
course the labels are 'inconclusive' to say the least!
I confess in the past I've just pulled fuses (one was 5 fuses until the right one) but whacking the fuses back in under load is not great and I'm reformed these days.
So, I was thinking of treating myself to a Fuse Finder, something like a DiLog PL500?
Has anyone successfully used one of these to identify a main incomer fuse?
Cheers

imo they aren't really that accurate have enough finding fuses in a CU with one.

I have a martindale finder and it works very well. Make sure you choose a digital one rather than the cheaper analogue ones.
I think mine is the FD650 elite. I find it works best on auto mode, you scan the whole board and then go back over and it identifies the fuse/mcb that gave the best reading.

Hi,
Many thanks for the feedback. My question isnt about finding an MCB on a board. I have a number of badly labelled main incomer fuses in a utility cupboard and I need to find out which one serves the flat I'm working on. Anyone ever used a fuse finder to do this?

Hi,
I'm working up an estimate for a board change for a flat in a small block.
Checking for the main incomers in the Dry riser cupboards and of
course the labels are 'inconclusive' to say the least!
I confess in the past I've just pulled fuses (one was 5 fuses until the right one) but whacking the fuses back in under load is not great and I'm reformed these days.
So, I was thinking of treating myself to a Fuse Finder, something like a DiLog PL500?
Has anyone successfully used one of these to identify a main incomer fuse?
Cheers

...Least of all,for the dude on dialysis...;)

I use clamp meter on tail to avoid surprises :)
My thoughts exactly plug in a couple of heaters or kettles to get some load I do this all the time to find circuits.

Hi,
No. I'm looking for the main incomer fuse. Theyre in a utility cupboard badly marked. Anybody know if i put a fuse finder on the live side of the main switch I'll be able to tell which incomer fuse belongs to the flat I'm working on?

Hi, here's a picture below. Putting a clamp meter around the tails isnt going to tell me which fuse to pull. Theyre all live!
Will a Fuse Finder do this? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

View attachment 35991

It should do the job just as well as finding a mcb in a board. Point is that if you pull the right fuse by the tone that you have tracked, then cutting of the power stops the tone.
Great little gadget To use and can save a bunch of time which gives you more time to drink tea with the water you've boiled on the kettle that you turned on before cutting the power - see, I am meant to be an electrician!

It should do the job just as well as finding a mcb in a board. Point is that if you pull the right fuse by the tone that you have tracked, then cutting of the power stops the tone.
Great little gadget To use and can save a bunch of time which gives you more time to drink tea with the water you've boiled on the kettle that you turned on before cutting the power - see, I am meant to be an electrician!
wimp.drink beer.no need for a kettle.:p

Reply to Will a Fuse Finder do this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock