Discuss Wiring a timer in place of a wall switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I IMG_9369.JPGI have been replacing certain wall switches with timers for outdoor lights. This four switch box has me stumped. The three switches on the left are all working properly. I am trying to wire the timer on the right. The hand-drawn diagram shows ALL wires within the boxes except for the grounds, which are all tied together. Specifically, I don't understand why black wires from three switches are tied together with a white wire from the fourth wall box. Any help on the proper connections for the timer would be greatly appreciated!

The only sense I can make of that is that the 3 switches on the left are all 2 way

When they're all switching on they're respective loads

They then break the supply to the garage switch and disable it's operation

If thats right u would wire it same as you've been doing up to now

Presume there's a neutral in garage box ?

I could be completely wrong with all that too

Hmm I'm thinking ive gone and got it back to front

Garage switch is master off

Feeds 3-gang 2 way here

Another 3 2-ways externally

It's late

Hmm I'm thinking ive gone and got it back to front

Garage switch is master off

Feeds 3-gang 2 way here

Another 3 2-ways externally

It's late
Thanks. You are correct that the three switches on the left are all 2 way. The switch on the far right has always been independent to the garage light and not in control of the other lights. There is only a white wire and a black wire coming from the box on the right and the white wire, which I assumed was the neutral, is tied to three black wires from the other switches.
I View attachment 90700I have been replacing certain wall switches with timers for outdoor lights. This four switch box has me stumped. The three switches on the left are all working properly. I am trying to wire the timer on the right. The hand-drawn diagram shows ALL wires within the boxes except for the grounds, which are all tied together. Specifically, I don't understand why black wires from three switches are tied together with a white wire from the fourth wall box. Any help on the proper connections for the timer would be greatly appreciated!

ck wires from each of the other three boxes.

Ok so last stab at it

Garage switch is independent 1 way switch

Loop feed across to other 3 2-way switches in pic for pool trelus etc

3 more external 2 way switches for pool and trelus etc

Sounds like there's no neutral at timer

Last edited:
Probably safest now to get an electrician in that case

I think that's the recommendation here for anything beyond diy

You did say all wires are showing so it should have been obvious there's no neutral, the garage switch in the sketch was slightly confusing

Last edited:
Thanks. You are correct that the three switches on the left are all 2 way. The switch on the far right has always been independent to the garage light and not in control of the other lights. There is only a white wire and a black wire coming from the box on the right and the white wire, which I assumed was the neutral, is tied to three black wires from the other switches.

ck wires from each of the other three boxes.
I presume your other timer replacements had hot and neutral wires then

Doesn't seem to be any here if you say there's only grounds and the hots into the switches

From my googling I think you can use a white or a black as a hot in the US which u were wondering about

Reply to Wiring a timer in place of a wall switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net