Discuss wiring double sockets in flex in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

marty1234

i was at a job today and a company are going round a chain off shops fitting 2 double sockets for a new computer system they are wiring these sockets off exsisting sockets (2.5 cable radials) .the new sockets thay are fitting is wired in 1.5 flex what do you think. i have not came across one test cert on any off these jobs yet

yes mate these guys are fitting hudreds off these in this chain off shops i was doing pir inspection in one tonight and i came across this it was just fitted last week

Well, they are storing up problems for the future. IT systems have a high earth leakage current, and can require special considerations if there are lots of computers. I think there is a section in the regs, GN3 or the OSG. We were certainly told about this in college.

I don't think wiring in flex is the answer either!

not ok if its just tapped off the back of the socket but if you take it from the switched side of a spur with a 5amp fuse then you should be ok. see page362 app 15.

i stand ready to be corrected

not ok if its just tapped off the back of the socket but if you take it from the switched side of a spur with a 5amp fuse then you should be ok. see page362 app 15.

i stand ready to be corrected
I think the spurs still needs to be T+E from socket this is what we do with projectors and screens (normally we go to flex outlet from the spur and flex from outlet to appliance.

Regarding using flex...if the current carrying capacity is adequate (which im sure flex is higher than twin and earth) then why is it such a crime (prepares to get flamed:)).

Although agreed its bad practice and not the norm

Ok and a trailing lead that can be commonly found in most offices/homes, has a cable of what csa ?......yes thats right 1.5mm ...so long as the plug has a 13a or less fuse it's good to use.
If memory serves me right isnt 1.5mm rated upto 16amp?

I agree they shouldnt be spuring straight off a socket, but if a fcu is used all will be ok.

Having said that if the circuit is a radial & fused at 16amp via a 60898 or 61009 & flex is surface mounted/ clipped direct they may be ok........wouldnt do it that way myself but heyho if the calcs work out why not.

So wiring a ring main in 2.5 3-core butyl flex is bad practice?
If its 2.5 its perfectly ok. In fact the spec is better than pvc flat t&e.

Is it ok to wire a ring main in 1.5 micc, or maybe 2.5 fire-tough. Or can ring mains be only wired in flat pvc cheapo t&e ?
It is no wonder house bashers get bad press -;)

Reply to wiring double sockets in flex in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock