Discuss Wiring Off-grid circuits to a solar generator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking for advice on how best (i.e. 1- not a fire hazard, 2- meets code) to connect a solar generator to wiring for an offgrid cabin. Cabin (not yet built) will be 200-500 square feet. Only anticipate needing 3 circuits- 1 for a mini-fridge/freezer, 1 for a few overhead lights/switches, and 1 for a couple receptacles located away from the solar generator.

Anticipated solar generator would be something like the Bluetti AC200Max or the AC300. I like these options for their super simple installation and connection to solar panels, no separate inverters, charge controllers, etc. And, I could take it with me when not at the cabin and use it for backup elsewhere.

I've considered a couple options to do what I need:
1- Just run a bunch of extension cords; not ideal from a fire safety perspective, a bit ugly/cumbersome, and light switches would be a challenge
2- Install three 15a power inlets like these, and then wire each inlet to a string of receptacles/lights (no load center, just using a short extension cord to each inlet to power things downstream); seems simple and cheap, but not sure it would be code compliant?
3- Install a generator panel like this, connecting the generator, but leaving the grid connection empty. Slightly more expensive than #2, but would seem to work.
4- Connect the generator to a manual transfer switch, connected to a traditional load center. From what I've read, this seems the "correct" way to connect a generator. But, with no grid connection, it seems like overkill. And many 15a transfer switches like this one seem to come with only 14AWG connection cables to run 4 or so 15a circuits, which seems like an awful lot of load for such a small cable...

Thoughts on which options would be best? Or another option I haven't thought of?

Reply to Wiring Off-grid circuits to a solar generator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net