Discuss Wiring Question Chandelier in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a new 15 arm chandelier, each arm has 2 lights which use G9 LED bulbs (3W equivalent). Each arm also has four wires coming into the base of the chandelier. My question is what is the best way to wire/bundle all 60 wires so they hook up to the hot and neutral safely. There are 30 wires that need to hook up to each. Not sure how to do this. Any advice would be welcomed.

I would contact the supplier and advise them that it is not suitable for use.

Return it to the supplier for a refund. Sorry, but that is not an easy DIY thing to sort out.

I could hire an electrician to install it, I am just curious to know if it is possible and what they would most likely do.

I doubt you would find an electrician willing to install that to be honest.

Basically you are saying it is a fire hazard and should not be installed??

Well I'm saying it's incomplete and not in a fit state to connect. Which is why you're struggling to connect it. Surely you expected it to be usable when you received it, rather than needing extra work doing?

Well I'm saying it's incomplete and not in a fit state to connect. Which is why you're struggling to connect it. Surely you expected it to be usable when you received it, rather than needing extra work doing?
Yes which I accept is the case, but I am willing to hire an electrician to finish it and install it. I am curious why you said no electrician would do that? I assumed you said that because of safety reasons. Aren't we talking about just bundling the hots and neutrals together and then hooking them up to the house wiring? It doesnt seem that complex but maybe I am missing something.

Yes which I accept is the case, but I am willing to hire an electrician to finish it and install it. I am curious why you said no electrician would do that? I assumed you said that because of safety reasons. Aren't we talking about just bundling the hots and neutrals together and then hooking them up to the house wiring? It doesnt seem that complex but maybe I am missing something.

Yes, but it needs doing in a safe manner. I'm not saying nobody will do it, but your average electrician will not want to be sat there joining 60 wires together before they fit it!

Again though, was it made clear when you bought it that it was not ready for use?

Yes, but it needs doing in a safe manner. I'm not saying nobody will do it, but your average electrician will not want to be sat there joining 60 wires together before they fit it!

Again though, was it made clear when you bought it that it was not ready for use?
I accept the lamp is not complete and I could return it but I happen to like the chandelier. So I am looking for solutions here. So my question to you or others on the forum is HOW would you go about taking the 30 hots and 30 neutrals and binding them together so they could connect to the house wiring?

I accept the lamp is not complete and I could return it but I happen to like the chandelier. So I am looking for solutions here. So my question to you or others on the forum is HOW would you go about taking the 30 hots and 30 neutrals and binding them together so they could connect to the house wiring?

With that many wires I would be looking at adhesive lined heatshrink sleeving and probably staggered joints. The amount of wires involved will mean a separate enclosure will be required as they will not fit in the lamp itself.

Care would need to be taken to ensure no wiring can touch the metal work. Is the lamp earthed?

Thank you very much for the suggestion. To be honest as a DIY'er I have no idea what any of that means, but hopefully someone with electrical training and experience will be able to help me do. the install.

Reactions: DPG
Thank you very much for the suggestion. To be honest as a DIY'er I have no idea what any of that means, but hopefully someone with electrical training and experience will be able to help me do. the install.

I hope you can get it working, I imagine it will be pretty impressive. Send a photo of it when it is installed and lit up!

Bit late but I'd use these "quick connectors"

Used them before for sockets where the wires have been cut too much and was impossible to perform a splice in other way without running a new wire. The box says they're fine for up to 25 amps but I'm a bit skeptical of that, but for something like this involving LED lights I'd say they're more than fine.

Grab a few of the black ones and wire them together, then the lights. If you notice the cables are too thin (they look less than 0.5mm to me) insert two into each hole, make sure they're tight otherwise they could snap off and short the fixture.

I hope you can get it working, I imagine it will be pretty impressive. Send a photo of it when it is installed and lit up!
OK so I thoughtfully and methodically bound all the 30 hots and neutrals together and then bound the hot and neutral from the feeder wire that goes up into the ceiling. When I connected the chandelier and tried to turn it on the switch sparked and fried? What do you think is going on???

OK so I thoughtfully and methodically bound all the 30 hots and neutrals together and then bound the hot and neutral from the feeder wire that goes up into the ceiling. When I connected the chandelier and tried to turn it on the switch sparked and fried? What do you think is going on???

Send it back. Not worth the risk. As I said before I'm not sure why they are selling something in that state.

Something shorted or there's too much resistance the ball of wires you made. The switch only controls the live wire by the way, not both.

Reply to Wiring Question Chandelier in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock