Discuss Wiring up my shed 240v in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am going to get an electrician to hook the wire up to my fuse box but I was wondering what cable I will need. I am planning on running the cable myself to be hooked up later I am after a cable to withstand 60 amps. What cable will I need

you will need round cable. twin?/E will not do. probably SWA is better. @ 60A the size of cable will depend on the length of the run, and how long it takes for the cannabis plants to grow, and what temperature you need.

60a? What are you doing/growing in this shed?? Also there are many factors to take into consideration before choosing a cable size such as length, how it is wired etc

I am going to get an electrician to hook the wire up to my fuse box but I was wondering what cable I will need. I am planning on running the cable myself to be hooked up later I am after a cable to withstand 60 amps. What cable will I need

How long will it be, how is it going to be installed, what type of protection will it have, what is the earthing system, are there any extraneous conductive parts in the outbuilding, do any other de-rating factors need to be applied, what is the maximum permissable VD?

And of course, how much of the work is the electrician who is connecting it happy for you to do? Bearing in mind they will have to sign the certificate as if it is all their own work so anything you do needs to be up to their standards or better.

@2189clarky let your electrician design and specify the job. If you do the digging and backfilling, you should save a few £ He/she will need to inspect the cable throughout, so it's not as simple as giving your sparky two ends to work with.

As an aside, is your shed suitable for welding work, in terms of it's construction? I'm thinking fire risk assessment, ventilation, etc.

I would also presume you don’t have an upfront RCD, an industrial welder of that size is probably going to leak a bit of current. You’d be wanting an RCBO preferably or none at all, but if memory serves on all domestic sockets it’s required even for sockets above 32A

Last edited:

Reply to Wiring up my shed 240v in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock