Discuss Words of wisdom please re an installation condition report in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I hope someone on here can help me with this.

My 25-year-old daughter is buying a house with her partner, they are just about to exchange and after a long delay, the vendor has finally provided an installation report dated 2015 carried out when they purchased the property.

What concerns me that there are multiple (10) C2's on there, and 6 C3's but there is no indication that the work has been done.

My concern on viewing the property was it didn't have a modern consumer board which I appreciate isn't a legal requirement and I know RCD's are also not essential on original wiring but looking at the report I'm more concerned about

'the absence of supplementary bonding in the bath or shower' etc.
'the absence of earthing at socket outlet',
'a ring final circuit having a discontinuous conductor'
'absence of a circuit protective conductor other than a lighting circuit, supplying class 1 equipment.
'unsatisfactory electrical connections, such as type, number and size of conductors unsuitable for the means of connection'
and 'adequacy of cables for current-carrying capacity with regard to the type and nature of the installation.'

Are these dangerous and should they be addressed or is this just the difference in what was previously okay but now isn't?

I understand the cost of rewiring is around £3k for a 3 bed-semi and that's more than they can afford, they're just weeks away from the exchange. If this moves forward I may be looking on here for a Harrogate based electrician.

Many thanks for your help

If your spending a large amount of money on a house I would be getting my own EICR done by an independent spark rather than relying on that. It's a very small cost on the grand scheme of buying a house.

Can you post a copy of the report with any personal details redacted?

Also can you provide a couple of photos of the consumer unit (CU = fuse box), as well as anything else that looks now quite right?

Sometimes what is down as C2 is a bit dubious, but from the descriptions you have provided there are some things that need fixing. But remember you do not have to go with the person/company that did the EICR no (matter what they imply).

My concern on viewing the property was it didn't have a modern consumer board which I appreciate isn't a legal requirement and I know RCD's are also not essential on original wiring but looking at the report I'm more concerned about

Without RCD protection then inadequate bonding in a bathroom (or similar special location) is a serious issue. However, a new board with full RCD protection is often in the £500-750 sort of region.

Both of these are serious issues, but normally cheap to fix by any competent sparky.
'absence of a circuit protective conductor other than a lighting circuit, supplying class 1 equipment.
Not sure of the details here. If it were lights then it is typical of a house wired pre-1966. It can be managed and there is guidance on this, but it is the sort of issue that usually points to a rewire as the best solution.

However, what you say suggests it is not lights so is, maybe, a simple fix but it could be more serious.
'unsatisfactory electrical connections, such as type, number and size of conductors unsuitable for the means of connection'
and 'adequacy of cables for current-carrying capacity with regard to the type and nature of the installation.'
More details needed here I'm afraid.

If you fancy some background reading then the Best Practice guide #4 covers EICR issues, and the BPG #1 has guidance for work where lights without a CPC (earth) can be handled.

But I would see what others on here say if you can give more info, and maybe someone local can take a look for an idea of the best/affordable options they have.

I was typing a similar post to @pc1966
My opinion:
Becomes non-issue most of the time once a new consumer unit fitted and all circuits in room have RCD protection.
Can be anything from a wire fallen out to a bigger problem. Needs investigation to determine. Not normally too bad.
Needs investigation, if can't be easily resolved there are normally easy workarounds (split into two radials)
This gives an idea of age of wiring - up to 1965 ish. If not lighting this needs looking at with urgency. It might be linked to the socket without earthing above.
'adequacy of cables for current-carrying capacity with regard to the type and nature of the installation.'
My reckless guess is these relates to size of main tails or earth. More info needed to determine. Quite often size of earthing and bonding on older installations are smaller than would be installed new. If it is that a board change would review these as part of the job.

In all circumstances I would plan on around £500-600 for a new consumer unit with RCD protection. That buys a lot of peace of mind while issues are investigated and plans made.
The last three issues are the main ones that concern me, the others can likely be sorted out or worked around.

But remember you do not have to go with the person/company that did the EICR no (matter what they imply).
Just to clarify - I am not saying there is anything wrong with the report you have, or the honesty of the electrician behind it. Just raise awareness that it sometimes happens that is not the case, and you are free to get others to fix things if you want.

Can you post a copy of the report with any personal details redacted?

Also can you provide a couple of photos of the consumer unit (CU = fuse box), as well as anything else that looks now quite right?

Sometimes what is down as C2 is a bit dubious, but from the descriptions you have provided there are some things that need fixing. But remember you do not have to go with the person/company that did the EICR no (matter what they imply).
Many thanks for all your replies, I've uploaded a copy of the report as requested by pc1966. I really appreciate all the answers, thank you for all your input

Attachments

• Electrical Survey redacted.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Yes, I agree. I'm still awaiting word back from the vendors but I would have thought if work had have been one they would have noted that on when they sent the report to the solicitors. Also if you had done work I would have thought they would have upgraded the consumer board.

I was typing a similar post to @pc1966
My opinion:
Becomes non-issue most of the time once a new consumer unit fitted and all circuits in room have RCD protection.
Can be anything from a wire fallen out to a bigger problem. Needs investigation to determine. Not normally too bad.
Needs investigation, if can't be easily resolved there are normally easy workarounds (split into two radials)
This gives an idea of age of wiring - up to 1965 ish. If not lighting this needs looking at with urgency. It might be linked to the socket without earthing above.
'adequacy of cables for current-carrying capacity with regard to the type and nature of the installation.'
My reckless guess is these relates to size of main tails or earth. More info needed to determine. Quite often size of earthing and bonding on older installations are smaller than would be installed new. If it is that a board change would review these as part of the job.

In all circumstances I would plan on around £500-600 for a new consumer unit with RCD protection. That buys a lot of peace of mind while issues are investigated and plans made.
The last three issues are the main ones that concern me, the others can likely be sorted out or worked around.
Many thanks Tim that's really appreciated

I've looked through the report. The last page is a helpful summary. If it's still accurate I'd say you need as a minimum:
Supply earthing checking (though codings don't completely make sense for earthing type stated)
Gas bonding adding (this shouldn't usually be too hard)
Upstairs light and downstairs socket discontinuous earth conductors need checking and sorting
The lights mentioned need looking at regarding necessity of fire rating
New consumer unit
(The single socket under the consumer unit will be an easy fix)

It should be noted that the upstairs lights and the downstairs sockets were not able to have any meaningful test performed on them due to the broken earths, so the insulation resistance tests which confirm the wiring is in good condition couldn't be carried out.

There is possible evidence further alterations have taken place since that report, such as spare circuit 1 now saying "Shower" on the consumer unit.

Personally, I would not exchange until:
1) You have an answer about whether any remedial works were carried out, with receipts if they claim any have been performed.
2) If no remedials, you arrange for a new EICR by an electrician of your choosing and an appropriate discount is mutually negotiated to cover remedial work. OR
3) You ask for a discount to cover part/full cost of a new consumer unit being installed. (easier)

All the best with this.

I've looked through the report. The last page is a helpful summary. If it's still accurate I'd say you need as a minimum:
Supply earthing checking (though codings don't completely make sense for earthing type stated)
Gas bonding adding (this shouldn't usually be too hard)
Upstairs light and downstairs socket discontinuous earth conductors need checking and sorting
The lights mentioned need looking at regarding necessity of fire rating
New consumer unit
(The single socket under the consumer unit will be an easy fix)

It should be noted that the upstairs lights and the downstairs sockets were not able to have any meaningful test performed on them due to the broken earths, so the insulation resistance tests which confirm the wiring is in good condition couldn't be carried out.

There is possible evidence further alterations have taken place since that report, such as spare circuit 1 now saying "Shower" on the consumer unit.

Personally, I would not exchange until:
1) You have an answer about whether any remedial works were carried out, with receipts if they claim any have been performed.
2) If no remedials, you arrange for a new EICR by an electrician of your choosing and an appropriate discount is mutually negotiated to cover remedial work. OR
3) You ask for a discount to cover part/full cost of a new consumer unit being installed. (easier)

All the best with this.
Many thanks, Tim, that's really appreciated, it's much clearer now. Thanks to everyone for their input

Get that consumer unit swapped ASAP.

Budget £500-£1000 for that and to also sort the other issues. A rewire is always ideal, but it’s likely this can be worked around to bring the current installation to a satisfactory condition

I'd opt for either proof of works being completed or getting another report carried out.

There are couple of "faults found" (fuse size too low for type of circuit) which to me aren't faults.

Ring main end to ends look quite low (I don't to a lot of domestic so these could look correct to someone else).

The sparky has also listed the kA rating of the MCBs as being 0.2 so maybes a typo here and there?

I'd opt for either proof of works being completed or getting another report carried out.

There are couple of "faults found" (fuse size too low for type of circuit) which to me aren't faults.

Ring main end to ends look quite low (I don't to a lot of domestic so these could look correct to someone else).

The sparky has also listed the kA rating of the MCBs as being 0.2 so maybes a typo here and there?
Thanks ToonSparky, I appreciate the comments. We hope to hear today what work has been done, then armed with everyone's input we can decide how to proceed. My daughter loves the house, so doesn't want to lose it but they did pay over the asking price, so there should be some leeway.

Reply to Words of wisdom please re an installation condition report in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock