Discuss Working in Canada in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

notwal_d

hi guys (new to site)

could anybody give me some advice on moving abroad, particulary Canada. I am just about to complete my C & G 2330 III, C & G 2391, 17th edition and NVQ III, i have also been employed in the electrical industry for around 4 Years. Do you think i have any chance of work over the pond? what is the standard quals over in Canada?

any help would be great

hi guys (new to site)

could anybody give me some advice on moving abroad, particulary Canada. I am just about to complete my C & G 2330 III, C & G 2391, 17th edition and NVQ III, i have also been employed in the electrical industry for around 4 Years. Do you think i have any chance of work over the pond? what is the standard quals over in Canada?

any help would be great

I can help you there.I was working over there for 6months last year.You need to show so many hours that you have worked.You also have 6months in which time you have to pass RED SEAL exam.Its very different to our system,but I passed it. PM me and I can forward a lot of bumph to you.

hi guys (new to site)

any help would be great
I happen to know a lot about moving to Canada. I have done it. If you are a construction or industrial electrician with at leadt 4 years full-time paid experience you can likely get in under the Federal skills program - and it's now quite quick. But you have to requalify in Canada and take a provincial exam. It's a 3 hour exam which gives you the C of Q or Certificate of Qualification and "Red Seal" which you can use throughout Canada. You are only allowed to take the exam if you have enough hours and it is probably around 10,000 hours. Best to take some courses anyway as the wiring is abit different. Send me a private message and we'll chat. Daniel

Hi Daniel Robinson, I'm interested in moving to Canada too, I am self-employed construction electrician with the following qualifications : NVQ 3 (C&G 2356), L3 (C&G 2330) 17th edition, ECS/JIB card. I've been doing this job for the past 6 years but I've always been self-employed. Now my questions are:

1). Because I've always been self-employed how can I possibly prove the hours worked ? Would some recommendation letters (with to and from dates) from various companies Ive worked for do the trick ? Or would i need to present the tax calculations for each year to prove that Ive been working as electrician all this time?
2). What is the name of the regs book I have to prepare from, for that RED SEAL exam? Can't I take an exam over in England before getting to Canada? Cos I know for fact that for electricians moving to Australia, they can take the Australian regs test over here in the UK and become licensed before their arrival. Hmm......
3) if I don't pass the exam within the 6 month period what would happen? Am I out?Or....?
4) What other things should I know or, be aware of, regarding the Canadian electrical industry before getting there? What is the salary like over there in comparison?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am currently helping my husband go through this process. we have a visa company helping us but as my husband is over 36 years old we have to do things the long way rather that trying to get the 1or2 year holiday visa. To work in Canada as an electrician you need to pass the electrician exam for which ever province you are heading for. we are concentrating on BC which is the ITA. (www.itabc.ca) you fill out their application form and have to prove 9000 hours (4/5 years) work. if you have an employer who will sign you've no problem. The other options are Statutory declarations (for if you cant get your employer or if you are self employed) all you need is 3 references and a stamp from a commissioners of oaths. it was much easier than I thought it would be. they charge 120cad to assess weather they think you can continue with the qualification process and let you know within 10 days. you have to sit the exam in Canada. The red seal is a separate exam (allows you to work in all provinces but is a much harder exam). Hope this info helps please feel free to PM me if you need more info as I say we are in this process at the minute. this will help us get permanent residency once he passes the exam. :D

Hi guys.

Im having trouble finding out how I prove my 9000 hours. Is it a letter from my employers, a form, P45, wage slips? I'm really confused. Going for our PR for Alberta. Preparing for my Red Seal and saving our money up just now lol. Looking at moving in 2017 under the "skilled workers" category. I'm a timed served electrician and my woman's a qualified nurse so looking forward to it haha. Any help would be fantastic thanks.

Reply to Working in Canada in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock