Currently reading:
Working on live distribution boards?

Discuss Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I'm asked to work on a live db be it TP or SP lv ,by my employer,as I have done for many many years in cases where the board cannot be isolated for various reasons.
if for some reason I'm electrocuted and I have a hot works permit or not, should my employers insurance cover me for injury,death,loss of work, or should I have my own insurance.
can you get insurance for hot works or not?
i have wondered about this for a while, I have a family now, so if for some reason the worst scenario happens,what happens? What can I or my employer do to cover for this?
can any1 enlighten me

And you will find that when that level of risk is death (not injury and potential death), just death, the economic impact alone is not reason enough!
if the risk of death can be mitigated to be considered to being a very low probability of it occurring, and ideally a reduced level of risk that it would result in death if it did happen, then of course it could be justified against the economic impact.

this is exactly where my working at heights analagy comes in, as all falls from any significant height carry a high probability of death from that fall. By your logic working at height would be banned end of, it isn't as long as control measures are put in place to mitigate that risk to an acceptable level.

Well. I'm pedantic, but the first level of control for WAH, is close enough for me to mean don't do it.

One also has to consider designers duties under CDM.

Maintainability being one.
So, the requirement for any live working on fixed installations should be designed out by now, pretty much, and, should certainly be designed out on any installation since CDM was introduced.

Generally though, I tend to find the older sparks on this board as more shaking their heads in dismay at the lower levels of training and competence they're seeing in the younger sparks coming through into the industry rather than sneering at this, at least until a younger spark get's their backs up.

How can it be classed as lower levels of training and/or competence when a lot of places do not allow live working, at what point could they then learn working live. Some places/certain situations allow it, in which case that person can learn from the experience. What my annoyance is with certain old timers sneering at people who do not get the chance to learn this and act superior due to it.

Also you go on about as an apprentice you worked live as if your superior to young ones who didn't,

Listen, don't blame me and the other older sparks on here for receiving well rounded training during their apprenticeships. Were they superior to those of today, Yes without a shadow of doubt, and not just in training of skills but in the content and standard of the C&G core qualification. Instead of trying to have a pop at me and the other older members, you should be having a pop at the responsible people for allowing that overall decline, especially within the C&G Institute and the local colleges around the country!!

How can it be classed as lower levels of training and/or competence when a lot of places do not allow live working, at what point could they then learn working live. Some places/certain situations allow it, in which case that person can learn from the experience. What my annoyance is with certain old timers sneering at people who do not get the chance to learn this and act superior due to it.

Really, perhaps you can point out this sneering you talk about, by giving examples in the way of ''Quotes''!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen, don't blame me and the other older sparks on here for receiving well rounded training during their apprenticeships. Were they superior to those of today, Yes without a shadow of doubt, and not just in training of skills but in the content and standard of the C&G core qualification. Instead of trying to have a pop at me and the other older members, you should be having a pop at the responsible people for allowing that overall decline, especially within the C&G Institute and the local colleges around the country!!

Really, perhaps you can point out this sneering you talk about, by giving examples in the way of ''Quotes''!!

Still waiting.

Maybe some read into what they want to read.

There's a big difference between 'sneering talk' and telling a few home truths.

Reply to Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock