Discuss working out of town in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Check your contract of employment mate, it should have a clause in there about location of work. A little flexibility on both sides of the employer/employee relationship is always a good thing.
It comes down to what's reasonable, is it reasonable for them to expect you to work away from home or would it put unnecessary demands on you? Do you, for example, have child care commitments that you cannot get out of or elderly parents who need your daily attention. When is this work out of town expected to take place? If it was tomorrow and you had no time to make arrangements for children/family commitments then that's unreasonable. If it's 3 weeks time then you have time to put alternative arrangements in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their labour plan might already be alocated to the job or jobs closer. That is what they can say and if you are not happy to work a bit further away you could end being laid off.

5 pound a day extra for food ! you get extra hours but you have to work it and i aint paid the proper rate anyway ! i only get 9 pound an hour

Sounds like your not with the right company then.

Sorry to be harsh .
But just jack it then , you sound as if you are resentful of the wage and are not happy anyway !
I am not trying to be a to""er but life is to short if you are not happy with it .

Forgot to say , welcome to the forum .

" Electrical labourer " done my 2330 nearly finished my Nvq 3 passed my 17th and got my testing 2391 booked for end of this month all pai for by my self!! I don't think with this firm it's what you no its who you no evey1 is on lower wages except a few who are on way more ! Would love to jack in but can't afford to !!

Surely your boss cant only give you £5.. My boss gave me £10 food allowance a day and that only got an evening meal (no drinks or dinner or breakfast) and i thaught that was bull.

Tell him you will work away but only if you get more allowance because its not worth the extra money when you have to buy all your food.

But ive said this before, if you refuse to work away and **** your boss off in the current climate im sure he will find an excuse just to sack you, same thing happened to me although mine was when i qualified my boss couldnt afford to buy me a van, tester, ladders, roof rack etc etc to set me out on my own so got me to work at his best mates then got his best mate to complain saying i was immature and sacked me (guy i was working with said that day i was quite so its all lies) - im currently in a court battle with my boss

A company cannot force you to work out of town....but you can bet that if you refuse they will find a reason to replace you. The reason might even turn out to be the fact you wont work out of town (they seem to have ways a twisting things to suit themselves).

Unfortunately in the current climate there are company bosses that will take the attitude of 'if they dont do as we want where they gonna go?' and end up doing whatever they want in the end anyway. Not all bosses are like this i'll admit.

I would just put up with it until you get your NVQ finished, and then start looking around, don't jump ship until you have something to jump on to.

Reply to working out of town in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock