Discuss You know you're a sparky when..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

...when you go to the shops, a pub or even on holiday and all you seem to be drawn to is the poor quality parts of the electrical installation:rolleyes:
I just stare in to the barmaids cleavage.........

Your customers get neat and tidy wiring, even when it’s hidden inside a consumer unit.

Your wife/husband is always moaning about the huge mess of wiring around the back of the telly.

Conversation goes something like, i’m Sure that’s not safe, all those wires etc. Do we really need all of them?
Reply is something along the lines of, of course it’s safe, who is the qualified electrician??
My wife bless her little heart A few times after a appliance gives up the ghost,she has asked if is ok to get a man in to fix,I gave up years ago telling her "I can do electrics"

Just noticed my name has changed from Des to Of :confused:

After nearly seventy years I was getting quite used to Des as well,never mind,I shall just have to learn to adapt I suppose:)

My wife bless her little heart A few times after a appliance gives up the ghost,she has asked if is ok to get a man in to fix,I gave up years ago telling her "I can do electrics"

Absolutely agree, I positively encourage her to get a PERSON in to fix washers, driers etc.
It’s quicker, cheaper and less messy than doing it yourself.
And it saves you the lecture about I told you to get someone in to fix it properly, when it breaks down 18months later.

If you attend an electrical installation and see an electrical fitting with n holes for screws for the cover and there are actually n-x screws in place, where x is in the range 0 to n, you have the urge to unscrew these screws and peer inside to see what delight/horlicks meets the eyes. And then spend the rest of the day thinking(vexing?) about what you would do to make it perfect for you.

It is of course preferable to have at least one of those screws partially inserted and thoroughly cross threaded, or just the stub of said screw remaining.

Am I allowed a second go?

You know you are a seasoned sparky when you are invited round to view a 'small problem with my electrics' by a client (closet DIYER). The home is in an affluent area with the ubiquitous Audi/BMW/Merc/Range Rover parked in the drive and a smart red run-about top-end Mini Cooper for the missus. The chap is mid 50s or older and something like a solicitor, bank manager, teacher ie: someone with a job without much manual craftmanship involved. He tells you he 'likes to keep his hand in' and 'it can't be that difficult can it?'

You stand with in front of the problem electrics, staring silently, carefully, without movement, taking in the novel methods and materials which have been employed. After what seems like a minute you breath in deeply through your nose and hold your breath ...before exhaling slowly through pursed lips making a faint whistling sound through your teeth.

The first words you say to the client are: 'Well. ( Pause 15 seconds.) Could we go sit down? You put the kettle on and I will work out just where to start before running over what matters need addressing...It'll be labour, materials and VAT of course'.

A warm glow grows inside you as....

When the first thing you do on holiday is look for the CU...

and you have to take a pic of it.

You know you're a sparky when..... 20190524_133234 - EletriciansForums.net

Or you get sent on a training course and have to find the CU in the hotel you are staying in.
Then get funny looks of people who see you taking pics of said CU.

You know you're a sparky when..... CU2 - EletriciansForums.net

You know you're a Sparky when.....

You return home with bundles of cash in every pocket, give your beautiful model wife a quick kiss and then jump into the Porsch.

Pretty standard day for all of us I would say. :cool:

You know your a sparky when..................................
Jeez, rather talk about knitting or topiary.

Did I tell you about the time I met Her Majesty :)

You know you're a Sparky when.....

You return home with bundles of cash in every pocket, give your beautiful model wife a quick kiss and then jump into the Porsch.

Pretty standard day for all of us I would say. :cool:
More like return home with holes in you're pockets, be told to fix something by the fish wife then walk into the porch.

Reply to You know you're a sparky when..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock