Discuss 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

now MI is a totally different ball game, op was for opinions and thats what he got :rolleyes:

No **** that is what he got!!

So how comes MI is a different ball game, but SWA with it's higher CCC is not? Surely the same rules apply?

1.5mm MI (bare and exposed to touch, as it would be in this situation) = CCC of 23A light duty and 25A heavy duty clipped direct and 25A light duty and 26A heavy duty on tray.

1.5mm SWA 70 deg c (thermoplastic)= 21A clipped direct and 22A on tray.

1.5mm SWA 90 deg c (thermosetting)= 27A clipped direct and 29A on tray.

Most of the time nowadays I find that SWA is thermosetting insulation, and so the 27A CCC would be the one to look at. Which is better than even the heavy duty MI by 2A... So, with respect, how is MI a different ball game?

:confused::):D;)

P.S. I was being quiet Flukey, but you just wouldn't let it lie!

Last edited:
now MI is a totally different ball game, op was for opinions and thats what he got :rolleyes:

The op was not asking for opinions,

It was asking for the current carrying capacity of 1.5 3 core swa, this is in the brb so no opinion needed.

Also is it acceptable to run a radial in 1.5 swa to 2 x sockets on a 16 amp mcb, again verifiable in the brb so no opinion need.

What you are doing flukey is saying how you would do it, which was definatly not the op.

The op was not asking for opinions,

It was asking for the current carrying capacity of 1.5 3 core swa, this is in the brb so no opinion needed.

Also is it acceptable to run a radial in 1.5 swa to 2 x sockets on a 16 amp mcb, again verifiable in the brb so no opinion need.

What you are doing flukey is saying how you would do it, which was definatly not the op.
read my reply, acceptable but not good pactice :rolleyes: my opinion :rolleyes:

No **** that is what he got!!

So how comes MI is a different ball game, but SWA with it's higher CCC is not? Surely the same rules apply?

1.5mm MI (bare and exposed to touch, as it would be in this situation) = CCC of 23A light duty and 25A heavy duty clipped direct and 25A light duty and 26A heavy duty on tray.

1.5mm SWA 70 deg c (thermoplastic)= 21A clipped direct and 22A on tray.

1.5mm SWA 90 deg c (thermosetting)= 27A clipped direct and 29A on tray.

Most of the time nowadays I find that SWA is thermosetting insulation, and so the 27A CCC would be the one to look at. Which is better than even the heavy duty MI by 2A... So, with respect, how is MI a different ball game?

:confused::):D;)

P.S. I was being quiet Flukey, but you just wouldn't let it lie!
im not playing pevvers, you can read MY opinion ;)

Last edited:
But why is MI a different ball game?

I'm not playing either, just curious how it's acceptable for a cable with a lower CCC to be okay to use, but one with a higher one isn't acceptable??

Last edited:
But why is MI a different ball game?
1.5 MI is a direct replacement for 2.5 t/e in nearly all situations, but then you would know that.:p

you have my opinion and no matter how hard you try you wont change it because thats the way I do it ;)

i have never said its not acceptable, read my posts, just not what i would do :rolleyes:

Ah, but it has been fun, has it not?

Just realised you only live about 3 minutes drive from me, we should go for a beer and discuss it further!! ;)

I was only joking about the futher discussions....

I'm in Broomfields in Pitsea, but I won't be stealing any business from you as I'm not on the tools anymore!

I was only joking about the futher discussions....

I'm in Broomfields in Pitsea, but I won't be stealing any business from you as I'm not on the tools anymore!
just down the road from me then, im in pitsea too, small world ;)

im open to any further discussions, just dont question my methods as theyre mine not yours :p

definitely 5 per cent beer for me too :D

I know it depends on its inststallation method but what is the max current carrying capacity of 1.5mm swa 3 core?

If im looking at the correct table 4D4A it says 18a clipped direct.

But then this manufactures spec says 32a. (page 3) http://www.alertelectrical.com/upload/pdf/329armoured.pdf

I want to know if its acceptable to run a radial to 2 x outdoor sockets using 1.5mm SWA on a 16a mcb
I would use 2.5 for 2 sockets radial

So would I, but I would actually make it an RCBO instead of an MCB.

But a 1.5mm would be fine, :rolleyes:
I have a shed [aprox 20 m long] supplied by a swa 1.5 mm coming off a household unit that will only accept domestic 3 pin plug fuses in it, so it is fused at 13 amp & perfectly acceptable by all the posts here. just wondering as my wife does tend to overload things [heater + tumble dryer etc] the fuses have blown before

I have a shed [aprox 20 m long] supplied by a swa 1.5 mm coming off a household unit that will only accept domestic 3 pin plug fuses in it, so it is fused at 13 amp & perfectly acceptable by all the posts here. just wondering as my wife does tend to overload things [heater + tumble dryer etc] the fuses have blown before
This is a zombie thread. All that matters is that the overcurrent protection for your 1.5mm2 SWA is appropriate for its current carrying capacity based on reference method. Table 4D4A has the CCC of your cable at 21A when clipped direct, or 22A when buried in the ground. Your breaker/fuse needs to be rated lower than this.

Last edited:

Reply to 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock