Discuss 100 amp service entry through shed wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pool Mike

DIY
Reaction score
I have a 4 wire 100 amp service run through 1-1/4" pvc underground to my pool shed. I need to take those wires and some form of conduit through a tuff shed panel wall to an interior sub panel. I will have at least 5 other circuits needing to go through this wall in roughly the same area. 2 20 amp circuits, wires for a variable speed pool pump whose size requirements have not been explained to me(i assume this will be a 220v circuit), and 3 led light wires which i assume will terminate on an installed timer? How do i get all this through the wall without turning it into Swiss cheese. What kinds of junction boxes are made for a situation like this?

I have a 4 wire 100 amp service run through 1-1/4" pvc underground to my pool shed. I need to take those wires and some form of conduit through a tuff shed panel wall to an interior sub panel. I will have at least 5 other circuits needing to go through this wall in roughly the same area. 2 20 amp circuits, wires for a variable speed pool pump whose size requirements have not been explained to me(i assume this will be a 220v circuit), and 3 led light wires which i assume will terminate on an installed timer? How do i get all this through the wall without turning it into Swiss cheese. What kinds of junction boxes are made for a situation like this?
The only thing that I can tell you is to install a 6x6 PVC junction box on the outside and drill 1 hole for a 1 inch pipe through the brick. If you already have a 100 amp service I would just install a 100 amp sub panel and feed your motor and receptacles and pool light from this. Remember that all your wiring needs to be GFCI protected.

The only thing that I can tell you is to install a 6x6 PVC junction box on the outside and drill 1 hole for a 1 inch pipe through the brick. If you already have a 100 amp service I would just install a 100 amp sub panel and feed your motor and receptacles and pool light from this. Remember that all your wiring needs to be GFCI protected.
Thank you once again for replying to my queries.
Yes the plan is to use a 100 amp indoor sub panel, and yes the plan is to feed the pool equipment using said sub panel.
Would the 6x6 pvc junction box you suggest be able to be punched out for all the pool equipment and all those wires run into the junction box through the wall and into the sub panel through a single hole in the back of the junction box?
Do i need to cut out multiple holes in the back of the 6 x 6 junction box for each circuit, use conduit connectors, cut even larger holes through my wooden shed wall to accommodate the fittings then continue the conduit between the studs up into the sub panel?
I'm near Houston, TX so pool builders electricians here are not familiar with using indoor sub panels and running pool equipment through walls. They usually just mount all panels and wiring on an outside wall or posts.
Im trying to do what I can to make this a clean weather tight installation before they come to finish my wiring.

Thank you once again for replying to my queries.
Yes the plan is to use a 100 amp indoor sub panel, and yes the plan is to feed the pool equipment using said sub panel.
Would the 6x6 pvc junction box you suggest be able to be punched out for all the pool equipment and all those wires run into the junction box through the wall and into the sub panel through a single hole in the back of the junction box?
Do i need to cut out multiple holes in the back of the 6 x 6 junction box for each circuit, use conduit connectors, cut even larger holes through my wooden shed wall to accommodate the fittings then continue the conduit between the studs up into the sub panel?
I'm near Houston, TX so pool builders electricians here are not familiar with using indoor sub panels and running pool equipment through walls. They usually just mount all panels and wiring on an outside wall or posts.
Im trying to do what I can to make this a clean weather tight installation before they come to finish my wiring.
I don’t know if you already have the power to your building bet run one 1 inch pipe with your 100 amp power. For the other circuits for the pool house I’m confused, are you trying to install the service from the brick under your house to the pool house and if you have mounted the sub panel inside hopefully then I don’t understand why you would have to cut multiple holes for each circuit. Please let me help you but I’m a little confused

I don’t know if you already have the power to your building bet run one 1 inch pipe with your 100 amp power. For the other circuits for the pool house I’m confused, are you trying to install the service from the brick under your house to the pool house and if you have mounted the sub panel inside hopefully then I don’t understand why you would have to cut multiple holes for each circuit. Please let me help you but I’m a little confused
Your circuits should come out of the sub panel for your pool

The conduit and wires for the 100 amp panel are run to my main panel and to the outside of the pool house but are not connected/terminated. The conduit runs are cut off and the wires are just coiled at each location.
I completely understand how to terminate these ends into the panels.
Its the power for the pool pump, the dedicated 20 amp outlet that is required, and the three 1/2" conduit that are going to have the led lighting wires that I'm not sure how to terminate.
Will there be 1 hole through the shed wall with a junction box and maybe din rail and terminals to supply power to these three separate circuits.
If the sub panel was mounted on the outside wall of the pool house I would understand.
Just knock out the holes and run weather tight conduit and fittings to all the equipment from the panel.
My panel is mounted inside the pool house do I'm trying to minimize the amount of holes that need to run from the sub panel through the wall and to the equipment.
Do i mount a junction box on the outside wall punch out for connectors and 5 runs of weather tight conduit to each piece of equipment.
If i do this can i run all those wires through one hole in the wall to the sub panel? Using conduit for the pump wires and the service wires.
I'm sorry i am not to explain it better.
I will try to post a picture of my situation.
Thank you.

Here are some pictures of what i have right now.
I do have the panel mounted in the shed and a 100 amp backfeed main breaker installed.

Attachments

• 20211206_160007.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211121_111137.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211121_110636~2.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 8
The conduit and wires for the 100 amp panel are run to my main panel and to the outside of the pool house but are not connected/terminated. The conduit runs are cut off and the wires are just coiled at each location.
I completely understand how to terminate these ends into the panels.
Its the power for the pool pump, the dedicated 20 amp outlet that is required, and the three 1/2" conduit that are going to have the led lighting wires that I'm not sure how to terminate.
Will there be 1 hole through the shed wall with a junction box and maybe din rail and terminals to supply power to these three separate circuits.
If the sub panel was mounted on the outside wall of the pool house I would understand.
Just knock out the holes and run weather tight conduit and fittings to all the equipment from the panel.
My panel is mounted inside the pool house do I'm trying to minimize the amount of holes that need to run from the sub panel through the wall and to the equipment.
Do i mount a junction box on the outside wall punch out for connectors and 5 runs of weather tight conduit to each piece of equipment.
If i do this can i run all those wires through one hole in the wall to the sub panel? Using conduit for the pump wires and the service wires.
I'm sorry i am not to explain it better.
I will try to post a picture of my situation.
Thank you.
Mike a couple of pictures would be nice if you could post them so I can advise you further.

Mike a couple of pictures would be nice if you could post them so I can advise you further.
I looked at your pictures and I see what you are talking about. The feeder pipe just goes to your building just drill one 1” hole and then your pull the feeders that goes through the wall of your pool shed and go ahead and terminate to your panel. I’m seeing 4 pipes left that I’m going to assume is stubbed out from the inside of your building where your sub panel will be installed. Have you installed a ground ring around your pool which should be # 8 bare copper wire for the metal parts of the pool to be bonded to ?

I looked at your pictures and I see what you are talking about. The feeder pipe just goes to your building just drill one 1” hole and then your pull the feeders that goes through the wall of your pool shed and go ahead and terminate to your panel. I’m seeing 4 pipes left that I’m going to assume is stubbed out from the inside of your building where your sub panel will be installed. Have you installed a ground ring around your pool which should be # 8 bare copper wire for the metal parts of the pool to be bonded to ?
The four pipes that have no wires are 3 for the pool led lighting that are trenches to the pool and the single 3/4 conduit is for a 20amp circuit that will run from the sub panel in the shed to my garage which is attached to my home. I chose to do that circuit from the sub panel purely because it looks nicer to trench underground from the shed than it would have to run from my main panel on the opposite side of the house. The house is on a slab. No basement.
The #8 ground ring is installed around the pool.
Another problem is the conduit that was run for service wire ended up right in the middle of a stud on the shed wall.

Here is a picture of my main panel and the distance to my pool shed. I'll also attach a shot of the trench from the shed to the garage.
I'll try to get another shot of the installed sub panel in the shed tonight after work.
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• 20211121_111027.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211118_101732.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211121_111106~2.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 5

Reply to 100 amp service entry through shed wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net