Discuss 10A breaker tripping problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just connected 16 x gu10 50 watt lamps to a 10a breaker, wired in 1.5 T + E, havnt had time to look at the problem yet, but it trips out after a few minutes., whats the possiblities of why its tripping out, and taking so long to trip out. cheers

It hasn't exceeded the rating of the breaker Luke as you are only at about 3 Amp at the most. I would look to something else such as a fault with the terminations maybe?

it should trip right away I think but maybe a neutral to earth fault that is causing the problem when something moves under the boards.

Guys,

If its a 10A BS EN 60898 MCB Type B then it has an instanteneous trip current of 3 to 5 times In (nominal value). Type C is 5 to 10 times In

So a 10A takes between 30-50 amps to trip straight away

A quick check of fig 3.4 (bullrush chart for 60898's) in the 17th edition tells me that at 15A a 10A breaker would take 10,000 seconds to blow, any less current and it would sit there happily forever

at a trip time of 5 minutes you've got about 18 amps flowing

Now isnt that the kind of simple, informative and accurate answer that you guys miss........

Jesus, this place is like a morgue........

regards

the ghost of a departed friend.....................

ahhhh....Casper the friendly ghost has returneth.....so why'd u get booted Casper?

Reply to 10A breaker tripping problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock