Discuss 12v In A Caravan - Qualified Person? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
Can any of you advise me, I've been told that to do work on the 12v circuits in a caravan a person must be qualified, if youre not, youre breaking the law. I am an electrican by trade (not currently working as a sparky), but I'm not well up on the regs. I find it very hard to believe that this is the case. He's stating "BS 7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations is also known as the IET Wiring Regulations" covers it, I'm still not convinced.

I would appreciate your comments, you guys are far more conversant with todays regs.

All Electrical Systems are covered, but risk of electrical shock/injury etc. can vary by many factors including voltage. 12v DC has its own risks that need to be understood, but rarely does anywhere require qualifications. Regards

We kept the local fire brigade busy with a 12v DC fire that got out of hand and ruined a boat! That was a dead short across a battery, so plenty of heat generated. Good practice is important! Regards

I have worked on, and seen more fire damage on vehicles than I have on mains voltage fires . Shorted batteries take no prisoners. Treat it with respect.

Ask them which law you would be breaking.
Electricity at Work Regulations - Section 2. There are no voltage limits set out in the Regs. Clause 20 on page of the Guidance (HSR25) explains.
Regulation 16 requires competence.....
No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

Last edited:
Electricity at Work Regulations - Section 2. There are no voltage limits set out in the Regs. Clause 20 on page of the Guidance (HSR25) explains.
Regulation 16 requires competence.....
No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.
It doesn't state qualified though. That sentence points towards competence rather than qualifications.

It doesn't state qualified though. That sentence points towards competence rather than qualifications.
The HSE use the word qualification very sparingly indeed because all a qualification confers is that one has passed the end of course examination, or in some cases simply completed a course.
For the purposes of Health & Safety Law, competence is defined as having adequate, suitable, and sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and training.

A qualification will only be really meaningful if it has been backed up by the acquisition of knowledge, experience and skills. For example whom would you prefer to do heart surgery on you - a brand newly qualified Surgeon or an skilled and experienced Surgeon - and the medical profession is a perfect example of why a qualification is of itself of little value until the practitioner has gained sufficient experience in whatever area to be allowed to practise on their own.
HSE do not accept that a person needs to have "a Qualification" to demonstrate competence, if they did then there would be an awful lot of electricians out of work. The IET specify that holding an MIET or FIET qualification does not of itself confer qualification to work on electrical systems.

For clarity on the competence required that you need to go to EAW Regulation 16(d).
The guidance gives the following direction :

Technical knowledge or experience
239 The scope of ‘technical knowledge or experience’ should include:
(a) adequate knowledge of electricity;
(b) adequate experience of the electrical work being carried out;
(c) adequate understanding of the system to be worked on and practical experience of that class of system;
(d) understanding of the hazards which may arise during the work and the precautions which need to be taken;
(e) the ability to recognise at all times whether it is safe for work to continue.

If I see no appropriate fuses -I assume ---NUMPTY---
(qualified or not)
..Too often you will see wire shed it's insulation on curves ..Just like Strima's POST #10... Just heat
-No arc-

Reply to 12v In A Caravan - Qualified Person? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock