Discuss 13amp plug for 3000w induction hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

aiofes

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I had a look around and can't seem to find anything regarding my specific issue.

We use 240v

We bought a new induction hob, it's a Brandt BPI-6410B and is rated as 3000w / 13amp and has wiring as below.

We had a Bosch PIN675N17E/01 rated at 7200w which died. It was wired to a round three pin socket as shown below.

My problem is that where the hob is supposed to go there is only the three pin round socket and I don't know whether I can just wire the new hob to the old round three pin plug and be done with it?

As the new hob is 13amps am I supposed to use the normal 13amp fused plug?
The round pin plug doesn't have a fuse, is this a problem or will the MCB fuse be enough if something goes wrong?

If I have to use a fused 13amp plug then can I just change the faceplate on the round pin socket to the usual 3 pin socket?

I notice the round pin plug on the old hob is wired quite differently to the way the new hob wire arrangements are.

Old hob:
Blue / Grey = Neutral
Brown / Black = Live

New hob:
Blue / Black connected together and Brown / Grey connected together.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum mate.
Just for information, this site is mainly UK based.
The regs for Singapore may be different.

Can you not get the old socket replaced to a new socket, then the plug will fit?

Hi and thanks for the welcome!

I'm pretty sure the regs are the same, 240v, practically everything runs on the 13amp plug.

Would the wiring to the round pin wall socket be the same as for the normal socket? If that's the case then I could just swop out the round pin wall socket for the other one and stick a 13amp plug on the new hob?

Would the wiring to the round pin wall socket be the same as for the normal socket?

It would be best to have this checked out, to make sure.
No way of saying for sure, over the internet.

The existing round pin plug is probably a 15A type, rated for 3kW (it's based on the old UK prewar plug). If the manufacturers permit connection to whatever size of MCB is feeding it, then I would put the round pin plug on the new hob. 13A fused plugs are not advisable for permanently installed appliances of 3kW because they are running very close to their maximum rating. Over time, the contacts tarnish, especially due to the heat dissipated by the fuse, and the connections degrade and start arcing. Because the 15A plug does not have a fuse, this deterioration is less likely, so it is a more suitable connector for the purpose.

eggsackly what Lucien said. burnt dinner is not a crisis. a burnt plug/socket is.

Singapore uses the same systems as the UK. That 15 amp round pin socket was way overloaded at 7200 watts (perhaps you never used all the induction hob at once) but doesn't seem to have come to any harm. So re use it for the new hob.

These are clearly 2 phase induction hobs wired for single phase. The fact that grey black is reversed between the two may mean the old one was wrong, or may mean it does not matter.

nice to see OP report back with a result.

Reply to 13amp plug for 3000w induction hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock