Discuss 15cm high consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A client of mine wants a board change but it's in a really tight spot! The exising board in 25cm wide and 15cm tall with 5 circuits. So 5 rcbos + mains witch will suffice. Anyone know a brand that would fit?

18cm tall is probably the largest it can go

thanks v much

Replacing and old Wylex wired fuse box?

While you might expect MCB would not need any more space around them than the old BS3036 wired fuses that is not how most boxes seem to be dimensioned for. I suspect the only real option is what @telectrix suggests.

@ OP a pic would help of the whole area incuding meter if it's there.

Mount it sideways?
I have seen that with the old Wylex boards, but I have a feeling there is some regulation/guidance note stating the main isolation switch has to operate in an up/down direction (mentioned a couple of weeks ago on these forums).
[automerge]1587996574[/automerge]
Here was the post:
[automerge]1587996696[/automerge]
@Julie. Also points out about the fire containment issue, as many covers are designed to close under gravity (which probably won't work sideways).

I have seen that with the old Wylex boards, but I have a feeling there is some regulation/guidance note stating the main isolation switch has to operate in an up/down direction (mentioned a couple of weeks ago on these forums).
[automerge]1587996574[/automerge]
Here was the post:
[automerge]1587996696[/automerge]
@Julie. Also points out about the fire containment issue, as many covers are designed to close under gravity (which probably won't work sideways).

The gravity argument is a moot point, you just have to look at 3 phase boards with Thier sideways opening door to see that (it's not like they close under gravity (unless the door is wonky ?).

The best the regs can manage is to install to manufacturer specification but that's it, no reg other than that.

This of course does put interesting points to manufacturers, units should be designed to work on either plane with IP rating applicable on all sides, not just top.

The gravity argument is a moot point, you just have to look at 3 phase boards with Thier sideways opening door to see that (it's not like they close under gravity (unless the door is wonky ?).
Yes, they they often have a catch to latch the door closed. Many domestic CU just flap down under gravity.

The best the regs can manage is to install to manufacturer specification but that's it, no reg other than that.

This of course does put interesting points to manufacturers, units should be designed to work on either plane with IP rating applicable on all sides, not just top.
I suspect this use-case is just not enough for them to care about :(

Don't forget, there are different rules / regulations between domestic and commercial installations, for example the rule about fire resistance (currently only regarded as met with the use of metal enclosures for cu's) is domestic only, and does not apply to commercial or industrial properties (like part P in England), in addition domestic properties are regarded as having untrained personal operating the equipment, whilst in commercial and industrial, it is usually considered that the people operating or accessing the electrical systems are trained, so one might expect a trained person to close and lock the cover on the dist board, whilst additional measures must be considered for untrained people in their own homes accessing the cu.

Just get a wet-pants to fit it... they seem good at fitting toilet seats that don't stay up on their own !

A distribution board is not a consumer unit intended for us in a domestic installation.
You are confusing two different products.
[automerge]1588061277[/automerge]

Some main switches are horizontal by design, and some operate with a quarter turn rotary handle.

Reply to 15cm high consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock