Discuss 16 amp commando sockets. 20 amp mcb on site guide as maximum value mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello the on site guide lists 20 amp maximum mcb for 16 amps sockets. Having a debate with someone as to why this is? Why not 16amp mcb? I installed 20 amp mcb as it's for a car charger that charger's at 16amps for 8 hours and is not capable of pulling more than 16 amps but this has been pulled as a C2. I didn't install 16amp as have in the past and over time the bi metallic strip has worn and started to trip after 12 months or so.

Cheers

assuming the cable is 2.5mm (or greater) then a 20A MCB is fine to protect the cable. as it's a dedicated load incapable of overloading the 16A socket, then i can't see a problem.

Hello the on site guide lists 20 amp maximum mcb for 16 amps sockets. Having a debate with someone as to why this is? Why not 16amp mcb? I installed 20 amp mcb as it's for a car charger that charger's at 16amps for 8 hours and is not capable of pulling more than 16 amps but this has been pulled as a C2. I didn't install 16amp as have in the past and over time the bi metallic strip has worn and started to trip after 12 months or so.

Cheers

Who has coded it a C2 issue ?
Have they quoted a regulation that it does not comply with ?

I have gone back with page 184 on IET on site guide 20 amp maximum. It's 2.5mm over 10 meters. I don't know who has gave it a c2 as this is coming from the customer I did the job for 18 months ago.

then get the customer to enquire as to the specific regulation that applies to this C2.

I wouldn't Code it at all but if a 16A device trips then it is inadequate for the connected load and this must also apply to the 16A socket, change it to a 32A socket.

if the charger is designed to plug into a 16A socket, then the 16A socket is sufficient.

going by the argument of whoever coded it, that means we need to fit 13A socket circuits with a 13A MCB.

20 amp should be fine supplying your 16amp socket as you say its covered in OSG part H3.
Out of interest have you hit mainly drains installing your earth rods for your EV chargers ?

20 amp should be fine supplying your 16amp socket as you say its covered in OSG part H3.
Out of interest have you hit mainly drains installing your earth rods for your EV chargers ?

I don't know! Scary every time though. Bought a cat scanner for cables but still!! 18th edition takes out the "where reasonably practical" bit. So expect a lot of People hitting utilities

Reply to 16 amp commando sockets. 20 amp mcb on site guide as maximum value mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock