Discuss 16mm T&E tails on 100amp fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Did a job earlier in a new build, part of a 5 year old new build estate in the darkest depths of kent. Anyhow opened up CU and saw 16mm tails so assumed would be on 80a fuse as there not huge demand. Then outside to check service head and main fuse is labelled 100a ?, the tails are 16mm t&e.
I did nor remove the fuse carrier to check the actual fuse as it was sealed :rolleyes:

Anyhow my point is, ive already installed new circuit and have to issue an EIC, I will be writing in comments box write what I found and that it looks wrong. However looking forward what should I do about this. The customer wont be happy me turning off all the power; I told him to contact the people he bought the house from and raise the point.

Another thing I found includes a spur that don't switch off the load in garage that its labelled to do. Its not right is it, brand new house as well, and theres hundreds of them.

There is acceptable Ze, main earth at the board is single g/y 16mm, water and gas bonded with 10mm also.

Next thing I would worry about is did the cable run need RCD protection due to the nature of the install ?

The service fuse carrier is always marked 100A as the max rating of fuse. The fuse would need to be checked to ascertain if the tails need fusing down after it.

What is the FCU supposed to switch off in the garage?

Measure the PFC and then conduct the Adiabatic equation, to determine whether the conductors are under sized.

Looks like a separate 16mm main earth is run alongside the t&e, I cannot see if the t&e is mechanically protected on way to cu but I doubt it, so yeh, no rcd for that added to the list. I will need to take fuse out of carrier and have a look, maybe its 80A afterall. Yeh PFC looks good, don't have results to hand.

Looks like a separate 16mm main earth is run alongside the t&e, I cannot see if the t&e is mechanically protected on way to cu but I doubt it, so yeh, no rcd for that added to the list. I will need to take fuse out of carrier and have a look, maybe its 80A afterall. Yeh PFC looks good, don't have results to hand.

I had one last week where Main fuse blew twice in a week .. was replaced by electric co. I thought maybe the cause was too much usage ... Took the Main Fuse ( no seal ) ... but alas it was a grey fuse with no writing on it !! so i was none the wiser .

Note on the cert stating you're unable to verify the size of the DNO fuse.

Not your place to start pulling fuses. You may contact the DNO to find out but they probably don't know either.

Note on the cert stating you're unable to verify the size of the DNO fuse.

Not your place to start pulling fuses. You may contact the DNO to find out but they probably don't know either.

Yes I will be doing that, lesson learnt today, check service head before any works done, not afterwards.

Next thing I would worry about is did the cable run need RCD protection due to the nature of the install ?

The service fuse carrier is always marked 100A as the max rating of fuse. The fuse would need to be checked to ascertain if the tails need fusing down after it.

Theres definitely no rcd protecting the tails; my issue is I cannot see if the t&e is mechanically protected or not when it goes into building so will note this on the cert also. Is it usual to run tails in t&e on new builds and put in conduit ?? That's a really subjective question.

Second thoughts its a lash up, t&e comes out switch fuse (also stating 100A) through a bush and ring, theres no gland; hangs in the air with no fixings then goes into the wall. Lash up if you ask me

Is this T&E that goes to the C.U. a sub main?

Im not entirely sure as all wiring is back entry into CU, proper tails go from main DNO Fuse to meter and then to switch fuse; from the switch fuse its t&e. So I assume yes it goes to CU
So there is a switch fuse protecting a sub-distribution circuit (sub-main) is this fused down to 60A?. The other issue is the method of its installation.

So there is a switch fuse protecting a sub-distribution circuit (sub-main) is this fused down to 60A?. The other issue is the method of its installation.

Its not a sub main, its a semi detached house with its own single phase supply. The switch fuse is there as the tails are longer than 3m, the load side of the switch fuse is t&e which I can only assume is going the the CU. The switch fuse has 100a on it

If it's a switch fuse the consumer side of the meter then you can remove the fuse to check.

Reply to 16mm T&E tails on 100amp fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock