Discuss 18th edition exam - my thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I Just did my 18th edition exam and I will share my thoughts with those that haven't yet taken it, and although I ordered the 18th bs7671 book last summer, it sat in a cupboard still wrapped in the cardboard it was delivered in until about 5-6 days before my exam. I watched the sparkyninji video where he goes through 60 exam mock questions using the bs7671 book for the answers and I found that very helpful (I didn't pay for any courses). I did spend a good few hours a day going through the book whilst reading mock exam questions which were free online, and probably 20% of the mock questions came up in the exam.

I passed with 52 correct questions out of the 60 (86.7% I think). The exam was possibly a little more difficult than the 16th and 17th, but if you know how to navigate your way around the book then you will nail it.

I am not the best person to study as I get bored very quickly and have a fairly low attention span to this type of thing (what normal person gets excited reading bs7671). I frankly just wanted to pass and wasn't trying to match the 100% results some on here got in their exams (poor excuse by me because I've never got 100% in any exam).

I would advise you spend longer than I did studying for it, and despite the short time I gave myself I had no interruptions from family or kids screaming as many others might have.

I have read of sparks paying to do a 1, 2 or 3 day course to prepare themselves for the exam and most things I've read is that the classroom courses haven't been worth the cost.

Sadly the exam proves very little of someones ability to do the actual job of a spark, but is more of a test of how well you can find answers to questions in a book.

So as above, I found it very useful going through mock exams and using my bs7671 book to find the actual answers to each question. Even if I knew the answer I still used bs7671 to find the answers to get me used to navigating the book, and that worked well for me.

Fortunately this will be my last exam, because I won't be doing the 19th edition whether that comes out in 5 years or 10.

Last edited:
Thank-you that was a really useful bit of advice, I'm much the same when it comes to study, haven't done mine yet and didn't want to do the short course, I was going to book the exam and having read that I now will!

There are other threads on the forum on the same subject. Calculators needed sometimes, not always.... each exam has different questions etc.

why are people still taking the exam if it came into force in January? How have you been able to work since jan without it?

There are other threads on the forum on the same subject. Calculators needed sometimes, not always.... each exam has different questions etc.

why are people still taking the exam if it came into force in January? How have you been able to work since jan without it?

Apologies if my thread is a replicate of other threads.

Can't speak for other Part P schemes, but the NICEIC said I had until June 2019 to get the 18th edition, so I have been able to work and issue certificates with just the 17th edition since the 1st January.

When I did my 17th Edition course, after returning to the industry, I had some stupid notation that I would actually be taught something. Only thing I was taught was how to try & use (unsuccessfully) the contents and index of BS7671.

I echo the use of mock exam questions, and not doing a 'course'. I was toying with the idea of sitting the 18th exam in a while, when its a bit cheaper. Don't need it per say for my current job, but thought it might come in useful, doing notifiable jobs in my house or relatives. But I guess the next amendment will be along anytime soon, so its a wasted expense.

Congrats Peter I've got mine in couple weeks so thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.
That's a decent score you got....I've done a couple of mocks myself without the book (regs due to arrive tomorrow) and been getting around 70% which I'm happy with but know I need to put some good revision in over next couple weeks to make sure.
I'm doing 3 day course at a local college.

I Just did my 18th edition exam and I will share my thoughts with those that haven't yet taken it, and although I ordered the 18th bs7671 book last summer, it sat in a cupboard still wrapped in the cardboard it was delivered in until about 5-6 days before my exam. I watched the sparkyninji video where he goes through 60 exam mock questions using the bs7671 book for the answers and I found that very helpful (I didn't pay for any courses). I did spend a good few hours a day going through the book whilst reading mock exam questions which were free online, and probably 20% of the mock questions came up in the exam.

I passed with 52 correct questions out of the 60 (86.7% I think). The exam was possibly a little more difficult than the 16th and 17th, but if you know how to navigate your way around the book then you will nail it.

I am not the best person to study as I get bored very quickly and have a fairly low attention span to this type of thing (what normal person gets excited reading bs7671). I frankly just wanted to pass and wasn't trying to match the 100% results some on here got in their exams (poor excuse by me because I've never got 100% in any exam).

I would advise you spend longer than I did studying for it, and despite the short time I gave myself I had no interruptions from family or kids screaming as many others might have.

I have read of sparks paying to do a 1, 2 or 3 day course to prepare themselves for the exam and most things I've read is that the classroom courses haven't been worth the cost.

Sadly the exam proves very little of someones ability to do the actual job of a spark, but is more of a test of how well you can find answers to questions in a book.

So as above, I found it very useful going through mock exams and using my bs7671 book to find the actual answers to each question. Even if I knew the answer I still used bs7671 to find the answers to get me used to navigating the book, and that worked well for me.

Fortunately this will be my last exam, because I won't be doing the 19th edition whether that comes out in 5 years or 10.

Reply to 18th edition exam - my thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock