Discuss 1970’s semi. Bathroom regs at the time. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I’m not doing an EICR or anything… just curious.

Was doing some work in my parents house, and I was remembering how it was back when I was a kid.
It was built in 1974… same age as me…. I don’t know what regs were in force at the time.

The original layout of the bathroom, only big enough for a bath, basin and toilet had a pull cord for the light.

Above the bath was half a door… behind this door was a void above the staircase, and in this void was the hot water tank… with immersion.

Happily reachable by standing in the bath with the door open.

What would your thought be on this? Behind a door, which I suppose could be lockable… but have to be in the bath to access it?

Below is a floor plan of a similar layout.

My parents now have no water tank, or bath… and have a shower cubicle in that void.

21A51940-34AE-454D-B3E0-4973F4BB57CD.jpeg

Reg was simple in the 70s. "Out of reach of a person using a bath or shower"
I posted on here once about an overweight inspector balancing over the edge of a bath, desperately trying to prove an immersion heater was in reach.

@brianmoooore I clearly remember that phrase, as I think it was still in use in the original 16th edition. I'm wondering though - is it possible it only applied to switchgear? I remember never being allowed to fit bathroom lights without checking with the boss, so there must have been something about them in it too....!

I think Jan 2002 is when the world of zones started, with three zones back then.

I suspect that if you couldn't reach the DP switch for the immersion (or there wasn't one) from the bath it might have even complied with the original 16th edition (1991).

14th Edition in 1974, still in force in 76 when I started my apprenticship. The 14th edition had been in force for a very long time by todays standards, about 15 years I think. There was a small change during its time, we went metric!

The 14th edition, with the 1970 metric amendments is the first one I owned and worked to. Still have it on the shelf, and the price is inside the cover - £1.25. Also recently metricated.
Old version of the reg is stricter than the current. Most people can reach more than 600mm.

From what I've read, it seems a completely separate question was how many electricians were aware or had ever seen the regs books though!
I've also read that there was some fantastic electrical politics going on at the time:
In February 1977, amid mounting concern over the forthcoming 15th Edition, NICEIC Chief Engineer Tom Howell helped put contractors’ fears at ease by saying that the forthcoming 15th Edition would ‘not lead to radical changes’. This did not stop contractors’ worries. With the proposed launch of the 15th Edition in spring 1981 – more huge controversy ensued, with many articles, news and views being aired in the trade press. A major issue was that of mainland European influence, as the 15th Edition was based in layout on the IEC Wiring Regulations.

The NICEIC, ECA and the then ECA of Scotland held a series of joint 15th Edition introductory meetings across the country. However, it was felt that there were still issues to be resolved, and the Council recommended in January 1981 that electrical installations should NOT be specified to the 15th Edition until the beginning of 1982.

The NICEIC, along with other bodies, held a series of seminars on the topic throughout September and October of 1981. A late 1981 edition of Electrical Times fretted that the 15th Edition was ‘beyond the ken of ordinary contractors’, so clearly, more education and clarifications were required. Yet, despite approval for the 15th Edition in 1982, the relevant Secretaries of State saw no difficulty in concurrent operation of the 14th and 15th Editions for a transitional period, until the end of 1984. Confusion reigned and, while ‘Megohm’ in Electrical Times claimed that the 15th Edition was a ‘green light for cowboys’, the NICEIC acceded to a request from the Secretaries of State for England and Scotland to delay implementation until January 1985.

The bathroom light couldn't be a pendant, and a batten holder had to be fitted with a Home Office shield. That's the conical kind of shade ring that comes down to the glass of the lamp.
Are you sure?
I agree with the HO shroud but I think pendants were allowable, what if it was a high ceiling.

Biggest difference was that the 14th was a book that you could sit and read. The 15th with its weird numbering and constant cross referencing was more of a cure for insomnia.
The thing I like most about the 14th is Section E - Testing and Inspection. Seven sides of A5 from start to finish, including all the certificates.

From memory, the bathroom did have a baton holder with HO skirt… but now a proper bathroom fitting. There is a fused outlet high on opposite wall for a heater.

There is still a baton holder in the downstairs loo…. Which is furnished with a heat lamp in the winter….

Reply to 1970’s semi. Bathroom regs at the time. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net