Discuss 2 cables to each light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'd expect to see 4 lives, neutrals and earths in the ceiling rose - 2 for the the cables running to the switch, 1 from the previous light and 1 to next light - that's not the case there are only 3 of each. Confused.

you commonly get three cables to a ceiling rose power in, power out and switch cable.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm more than capable of changing a switch. I was kust interested in why the switches were wired in such a way. Clearly you can't tell me.

They are wired that way because...... they just are.

Every spark has different ways of doing most things, not right or wrong just different.

The only guy that could tell you why he wired it like that is the guy that wired it.

Alanabasset.

The two standard methods of wiring lights have the 'busy' end either in the ceiling rose or in the light switch. Often an electrician will decide which methods based on the toplogy of the building - his aim to reduce cable runs and avoid junction boxes. These two methods of wiring lights are being superseded, mainly due to the changing use of lights, such as previous posts for downlighters, or the increasing provision of a neutral in the switch for future PIR switching or the like.

For ages now the light switch had no neutral as it's not needed for simple switching of tungsten lights. More techy methods such as replacing the light switch with a PIR or some form of electronic device work better with a neutral, rather than drawing their own supply via the 'load'. If the 'load' ie the light is now low energy then the current drawn is often too low to power an electronic switch device - hence the neutral.

In your example I agree with all the posts to date. Sounds like the wiring methods doesn't conform to 'ceiling rose' or 'switch loop in loop out'. One cable into the switch comes from the consumer unit, the neutral in is carried out on the 'exit' cable along with the switched live - this cable now going direct to a ceiling rose(s) (with likely no other cables in the ceiling rose)

Reply to 2 cables to each light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock