Discuss 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hired and trained a relatively new electrician. Getting along ok as far as competency goes so far. However, a few issues with him that I wanted to get your guys feedback/opinion on.

1. Doesn't like to go to any domestic site solo even for the simplest jobs. Has demanded he always has someone with him who can assist i.e. an improver type. His logic - electrical shock risk if he's alone and in case he cuts into a pipe etc., that kind of thing.

2. Not keen on driving so had to set up his sidekick on the insurance also.

3. Not keen on negotiating/communicating with customers. Bear in mind these are generally standard domestic jobs.

4. We sometimes have declined jobs because he also had a chacne to see them and wasn't keen on the customer/job is partially done i.e. subcontractor from a builder may not have finished off work for example.

5. Hates the idea of changing CU's unless a complete rewire is occurring because of trip risks despite knowing certain pre-tests can be done.

Do the above aspects seem practical on average as far as expectations from a domestic electrician go? I'm not so sure. We're a small business and everything counts.

Graham
(Go2Electrical, Manchester)

Hired and trained a relatively new electrician. Getting along ok as far as competency goes so far. However, a few issues with him that I wanted to get your guys feedback/opinion on.

1. Doesn't like to go to any domestic site solo even for the simplest jobs. Has demanded he always has someone with him who can assist i.e. an improver type. His logic - electrical shock risk if he's alone and in case he cuts into a pipe etc., that kind of thing.

3. Not keen on negotiating/communicating with customers. Bear in mind these are generally standard domestic jobs.

4. We sometimes have declined jobs because he also had a chacne to see them and wasn't keen on the customer/job is partially done i.e. subcontractor from a builder may not have finished off work for example.

5. Hates the idea of changing CU's unless a complete rewire is occurring because of trip risks despite knowing certain pre-tests can be done.

Do the above aspects seem practical on average as far as expectations from a domestic electrician go? I'm not so sure. We're a small business and everything counts.

Graham
No not really sounds like a bit of a liability if you ask me, but you are the Manager, your call.

Graham
What was he like at the interview, or not maybe.

Sounds like a severe lacking in experience to me.
I have worked on MOD sites Married Quarters, where you had to have someone with you, some of those Service Wives, if you get my drift. Used to leave a packet of OMO in the window "Old Man's Out" scary stuff, especially if you're a sensitive Guy like what I am.;):cool::coldsweat::fearscream:

I have worked on MOD sites Married Quarters, where you had to have someone with you, some of those Service Wives, if you get my drift. Used to leave a packet of OMO in the window "Old Man's Out" scary stuff, especially if you're a sensitive Guy like what I am.;):cool::coldsweat::fearscream:

I used to PAT test three girls boarding schools during term time. I'd be wondering around un-assisted going through all their dorms while they were in lessons. All that was asked from the girls was that they put their electrical bits on their bed so I didn't have to rummage around their rooms too much..

Crazy thinking back..

I used to PAT test three girls boarding schools during term time. I'd be wondering around un-assisted going through all their dorms while they were in lessons. All that was asked from the girls was that they put their electrical bits on their bed so I didn't have to rummage around their rooms too much..

Crazy thinking back..
Didn't know battery powered stuff required PATesting:D:oops:

Hi Graham and welcome to the forums.

@widdler has just beaten me to it, I think most of this may be down to confidence and a lack of experience.

How old is he? How long have you been training him? I assume he's been going to college? What quals does he have?

1. Flying solo... I'd like someone to help me on site all the time, for those awkward cable pulling moments, or for running around and clearing up after me, but it's just not practical on every single job because of the costs. If he's young and naive, this aspect of business may not occur to him. Sure there are risks, but by being careful, following the proper safety procedures etc. you can greatly reduce the risks of electric shock. Do I worry about it? Hell yeah, but I always take my time and minimise the time the installation is live during working (i.e. it's on only for the live testing). As for cutting through pipes, you just have to try and minimise the chances of doing it, maybe he needs a few pointers on how to do that?

2. Driving... pre-requisite. He may just be inexperienced and not be keen on the traffic. Having driven round Manchester on plenty of occasions, I can't say I blame him. But avoiding it isn't going to make it any better he needs to get out there and do it more. He may just be worried about pranging your van.

3. If he's young, then this is to be expected generally as he may simply be lacking confidence. You're obviously placing a certain amount of trust in him and he may not want to let you down and/or make your company look bad. If that's the case, good on him, far better that than some gobby git who makes promises your business then has to keep.

4. Generally I would say, you're the boss, give him a kick in the pants and tell him to get on with it, but there are definitely places I wouldn't work in based on their location and/or the people. Lets put it like this, if I ever end up seeing a used needle, I'm out the door.

5. So maybe he's not confident in his ability to establish whether it would be a trip risk and/or his ability to fault find if it does become an issue?

As has been said, these could all just be confidence/experience issues. You've obviously talked to him about some of this as you seem to have a reasonable picture of what he feels, but have you had a good chat with him about it with respect to the 'whys'? If not, that would be my next step.

As I know where this conversation is going... I'm going to add fuel....

Not all of them are battery powered and some of them most certainly wouldn't fit in your hand!
You would deffo need to PATest the mains powered type, I suppose they were double insulated.

^^^^.........Mains powered then??
Are we referring to one of those things that has a lot in common with Tofu ?
ie. a meat substitute.
It's been kept reasonably clean so far using innuendos, now comes the nitty gritty responses, shame on you all. Just a point what size in Watts are we talking about ? would imagine the quality assurance was pretty strict, probably 1 in every 10.

Reply to 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net