Discuss 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The current through the junction box will be no higher than it might be in other applications on a ring. E.g. taking one spur from a point near the CU. The question is whether it makes a sound connection to four cables. If it does not, then it is non-compliant like any accessory that does not make a sound connection.

Ok, but where in 433.1 does it preclude taking two spurs from a single point on a ring final circuit?

That's all I'm asking.

I can't find a regulation that precludes it, but I'm happy to be proved wrong because then I'll have learned something new :)

I'm thinking the same thing. As the OP passed the ring through the JB, then this is 2 separate spurs in a single junction box, not a single spur with 2 twin sockets attached to it.

Both sockets are in effect independently spurred from the RFC by nature of the fact that both are independently connected to it. You could remove either socket and the other would remain connected. So... does that not qualify as 2 spurs, one for each socket?

What is the difference between breaking into the RFC twice in one JB, or once in each of two JBs next to one another? Do the regs say two spurs can't connect back to the RFC within a single enclosure?

At very least, it's not dangerous in anyway that I can see - other than a none MF box technically in an inaccessible location, but that's very easy to remedy.

Let me ask the question in another way...

You've just been asked to inspect the OPs property for an EICR and you find this junction box, it's been changed to a maintenance free one so that's no longer an issue.

How would you code the fact there are two spurs taken from the one junction box and what regulation would you quote to substantiate that coding?

I feel like an apprentice again, or worse a Electrical Trainee.

I’d grade it with a squiggle that cant be deciphered - I’ll make it look like a 1,2,3 and a tick, maybe even a N/A to cover all basis.

I’m off to bed. If I dream about spurs, I hate you all.

I have watched and read...some very erudite prose on this thread, and that's why I am here...learning every day.
The juxtaposition bewtween regs and practicality, recommendations and actuality, all fascinating for me!
At the end of the day, common sense seems to say that it's 2 spurs, each one ok provided the termination is good, just a question over whether the hardware selected is appropriate...
Sparkychick, like your clarity on this.

Don't think so, sparkychick...nice clean JB connections, 2 spurs, leccy good at each one...overload?
where couldn't you, on any circuit not fused down?
Right, really going now!

I think that’s the wonderful thing about the regs. They are open to interpretation so we are probably all wrong it’s really only down to yourself and how you justify it that makes it right or wrong everything is right if you can justify it.

Yeah, but that's also what makes it somewhat scary :)

Reply to 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net