Discuss 2 way lighting alternative method in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Gents & Ladies,

Excuse my ignorance on this. It's just never occurred to me or haven't indeed ever seen it.
Normally with two way lighting I have used the loop in at the ceiling rose, 3 core between switches then 2 core from switch to rose for switching method (although looping in at the switch is growing on me). My query is if the light is between the two switches (i.e. in a hallway) is there any reason you can't have loop in/out at the rose then deviate the 3 core between the switches via the rose and terminate the switch and return switch within the rose - thus saving having to feed an extra switch 2 core to the switch. I haven't checked through the regs yet but off the top of my head I can't think why not (I am tired tho :/ )

2 way lighting alternative method IMG_20191014_210727 - EletriciansForums.net

What've the regs got to do with it? No Problem.

all you are doing is L to L1 and S/L to L2. same wherever on the conductors you connect.

This sound's like a lot of hassle, if running a 3 core & earth to rose from each switch. Where do you plan on terminating the extra conductor you have in the rose?

What is pretty much normal practice here in Northern Ireland is a set of stappers (twin brown) between switches, a feed from the rose to one switch, a switched live from rose to the other switch. It's not a method I use very often though, I much prefer taking a 3 core & earth between the switches.

FWIW Running the 3C+E from switch to switch via the rose is pretty standard in the USA, albeit with the provision of an actual joint box to accommodate the extra connections. They have a scheme with the colours that looks bonkers at first, in that L1, L2 & C are different at the two switches and one strapper changes colour on its way through the rose, but there is logic to it that helps when tracing as certain ambiguities in the UK convention are avoided.

If you have space for the connections I can't see any objection to it, although a basic 3-plate rose might not be ideal. You can actually connect up either way. 'conventional'; PL to one Com, L1 & L2 strappers pass through the rose, SL back from the other Com; or 'conversion'; Both L1 to PL, Both L2 to SL, Com passes through the rose to the other Com.

Personally, I avoid the 'conventional' method anyhow, as it causes the current to flow around a loop enclosing significant area, which can increase the interference emitted from the lamp. I.e. it works like a loop aerial, whereas the conversion method does not, because the cables carry balanced currents. It wasn't important in the days of tungsten lamps, which don't generate any interference to start with.

This sound's like a lot of hassle, if running a 3 core & earth to rose from each switch. Where do you plan on terminating the extra conductor you have in the rose?

What is pretty much normal practice here in Northern Ireland is a set of stappers (twin brown) between switches, a feed from the rose to one switch, a switched live from rose to the other switch. It's not a method I use very often though, I much prefer taking a 3 core & earth between the switches.
Generally used that method before flat 3 core and earth was available.....quite a while ago.

Reply to 2 way lighting alternative method in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock