Discuss 240V AC & red alarm cable run together in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wonder if I may ask a question?

Is it permissible to run the red fire alarm cable with the mains T&E cable, though holes and in the same trunking?

I thought alarms were 24V and that ELV, data, telephone etc & LV should be kept separate?

Maybe there is an exemption for fire alarm wiring as it is screened and fire retardant? If so, I can't find the specific reg.

TIA,
N.

You can run the mains cable to the fire alarm in line with other mains rated cables, but the fire alarm circuits ( Loop, Zones, Sounders) need to be separated from mains cables under BS5839 to reduce interference

Last edited:
It's not just the LV and ELV issue. As a safety service fire alarm needs to be segregated from other services. Both BS 5839-1 and I.S. 3218 in the case of the poster from Ireland require this.

It sounds like you're referring to FP200 cable, so I'm presuming that this is a commercial or industrial installation (in spite of the reference to T&E being used). You are correct that they are generally 24V.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies so far.

Yes it is a commercial installation. A refurbishment and building extension. Refurbished parts are being re-wired and a new fire alarm being installed. It is FP200 cable, checked today.

First picture shows new cables (grey) coming through a bulkhead wall between two loft areas. Hole could have been drilled at floor level. No attempt seems to have been taken to run the cables neatly or avoid other services. Their own 240V and 24V fire alarm cables run together. White cables clipped to floor are existing intruder alarm cables.

The cables are just run as quickly and as easily as possible in the loft area, over existing walkboards, rather than under, causing both trip hazard and potential damage to the cables when they get walked on or loft gets filled with junk. Many are run diagonally around the loft. No sign of a single cable clip anywhere on the T&E. Has made my work so much harder, trying to find ways to route my cables to avoid the mains stuff. A little more care by them would have made their job look so much neater.

Second photo shows the new fire panel. FP200 cable is crossing the T&E, running in the same trunking.

Picture 3 shows an earth bar in the trunking. At least it has one screw in it. Don't know where the end of the cable goes, I'm guessing water or gas. both are easily accessible, so whilst this would not break any regs, it would be neater to renew the full length.

Picture 4 is a joint in the cabling, new grey joining existing white. Did not notice if it was 2.5 or 1.5mm cable. It goes up into the loft. Again, I guess it does not break any regs, but how hard would it have been to run the first leg as one new piece?

Am I being to fussy or is this considered an acceptable standard of work?

One sparky said to me about the other, that he is an NICEIC Inspector. Not sure what that actually means. Is it just that he is the one who signs of the company jobs, or does he do work directly for NICIEC?

Attachments

• 240V AC & red alarm cable run together DSC_0001.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_0001.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 240V AC & red alarm cable run together DSC_0002.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_0002.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 240V AC & red alarm cable run together DSC_0003.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_0003.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 240V AC & red alarm cable run together DSC_0004.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_0004.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 43
This is what they installed today. I would not have the cheek to do it that badly.

Attachments

• 240V AC & red alarm cable run together yeehaa1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    yeehaa1.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 16
  • 240V AC & red alarm cable run together yeehaa2JPG.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    yeehaa2JPG.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi,

Thank you for your replies so far.

Yes it is a commercial installation. A refurbishment and building extension. Refurbished parts are being re-wired and a new fire alarm being installed. It is FP200 cable, checked today.

First picture shows new cables (grey) coming through a bulkhead wall between two loft areas. Hole could have been drilled at floor level. No attempt seems to have been taken to run the cables neatly or avoid other services. Their own 240V and 24V fire alarm cables run together. White cables clipped to floor are existing intruder alarm cables.

The cables are just run as quickly and as easily as possible in the loft area, over existing walkboards, rather than under, causing both trip hazard and potential damage to the cables when they get walked on or loft gets filled with junk. Many are run diagonally around the loft. No sign of a single cable clip anywhere on the T&E. Has made my work so much harder, trying to find ways to route my cables to avoid the mains stuff. A little more care by them would have made their job look so much neater.

Second photo shows the new fire panel. FP200 cable is crossing the T&E, running in the same trunking.

Picture 3 shows an earth bar in the trunking. At least it has one screw in it. Don't know where the end of the cable goes, I'm guessing water or gas. both are easily accessible, so whilst this would not break any regs, it would be neater to renew the full length.

Picture 4 is a joint in the cabling, new grey joining existing white. Did not notice if it was 2.5 or 1.5mm cable. It goes up into the loft. Again, I guess it does not break any regs, but how hard would it have been to run the first leg as one new piece?

Am I being to fussy or is this considered an acceptable standard of work?

One sparky said to me about the other, that he is an NICEIC Inspector. Not sure what that actually means. Is it just that he is the one who signs of the company jobs, or does he do work directly for NICIEC?
The T&E into the keyswitch for the alarm should also be fire rated, not straight T&E, pretty certain the standard is explicit about this as it forms part of the alarm system itself and so should be fire rated.

Reply to 240V AC & red alarm cable run together in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock