Discuss 240v Single Pole baseboard heater - thermostat wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JDLang76

DIY
Reaction score
Im a DIY novice. I have changed central AC thermostat, light fixtures, switches etc. This has me stumped.

I have a 240v single pole baseboard heater with an old mercury thermostat. I would like to replace that thermostat with a Honeywell TL8130A.

Question 1 - Can someone explain the wiring to me? It is my understanding that voltage should come from the breaker to the thermostat and then additional wiring should deliver that voltage from the thermostat to the heater. However, there are 2 lines in the wall. Each line is hot with 120v when the system is at 40 degrees and inactive. When using a volt meter with each wire/ground, they read 120v. When reading them together. they read 240v. I don't understand how this wiring setup works.

Question 2 - Can I use that Honeywell thermostat? It is single pole, but has 4 wires.

Any detailed explanation of this wiring situation would be deeply appreciated. Honeywell was not able to help.

Im a DIY novice. I have changed central AC thermostat, light fixtures, switches etc. This has me stumped.

I have a 240v single pole baseboard heater with an old mercury thermostat. I would like to replace that thermostat with a Honeywell TL8130A.

Question 1 - Can someone explain the wiring to me? It is my understanding that voltage should come from the breaker to the thermostat and then additional wiring should deliver that voltage from the thermostat to the heater. However, there are 2 lines in the wall. Each line is hot with 120v when the system is at 40 degrees and inactive. When using a volt meter with each wire/ground, they read 120v. When reading them together. they read 240v. I don't understand how this wiring setup works.

Question 2 - Can I use that Honeywell thermostat? It is single pole, but has 4 wires.

Any detailed explanation of this wiring situation would be deeply appreciated. Honeywell was not able to help.
First off if it’s 240vac it will be a double pole breaker and do you have the paper work of the new Thermostat. I really think you should call a qualified electrician to help you with this project. We would like to see a picture of the electrical requirements and wiring diagram.

First off if it’s 240vac it will be a double pole breaker and do you have the paper work of the new Thermostat. I really think you should call a qualified electrician to help you with this project. We would like to see a picture of the electrical requirements and wiring diagram.
Then why is the current thermostat single pole? I live in a very small town. There are no electricians. I dont have a wiring diagram. Thats the problem. Im looking for someome to gove me a clue how this is wired.

Then why is the current thermostat single pole? I live in a very small town. There are no electricians. I dont have a wiring diagram. Thats the problem. Im looking for someome to gove me a clue how this is wired.
The only reason I can give you is 1 phase goes directly to the heater and the other phase is controlled by the thermostat. Having said that you will have 240vac to the heater when the thermostat closes

maybe get some info here:

as the thermostat needs 240V i imagine you'd use both hots as feed to the stat. then the other 2 wires will be from boiler (IN) and back to boiler (OUT) across the stat's volt free relay. this allows switching of 240V or 24V , whatever the boiler wants.

Reply to 240v Single Pole baseboard heater - thermostat wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock