Discuss 2kw downflow bathroom fan heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

I have a job to fit a downflow fan heater in a bathroom in replace of a very old bar heater.

The spur is already there so its just replaceing the old fan for new 2kw downflow heater.

My question is..

The bathroom is a very old terrace house, with a small bathroom. There is prob No outside zones.. only 0, 1 & 2 (0.6m from zone 1 your touching the wall) also the ceiling is low 2.25m and your touching the ceiling.

Usually ive put these fan heaters above the bathroom door. this isnt possible as there is no "above the door"..door frame is 1 inch from ceiling, so the fan heater will have to be in zone 2.. Now are all bathroom downflow heaters the correct ratting for zone 2?

Have i been thinking far to deep into this..

Have a look at the manufacturers website, or better still, if you have the unit, the instruction manual. All specs should be in there.

Hmmm..

The only other thing you can do is to have a look at the unit itself.

If it is ip rated then i believe it should be marked on it somewhere. Maybe on the rating label.

Other than that, you may need to purchase one that you know is ip rated, suitable for the area that you are going to install it.

Sorry i cant be any more help!

No problem,

I dont think ive come across a IP rated downflow heater, would this not be any different to a 230v wall mounted extractor fan in zone 2?

I suppose ALL downflow heater must have a minimum IP rating.. anyone know?

No problem,

I dont think ive come across a IP rated downflow heater, would this not be any different to a 230v wall mounted extractor fan in zone 2?

I suppose ALL downflow heater must have a minimum IP rating.. anyone know?

Here you are Sid, these are IP22 rated. If you check out the install info (right of page data info) it will give you further info.

Bathroom Wall Fan Heater

Ok, thanks warren.

I have seen many bathroom fan heaters fitted above bathroom doors that if were measured would be in zone 2, hardly any would have been IPX4 rated. Prob did not matter many years.

Sorry slightly off topic here...

Above 2.25m from floor level is not in any zone, even if above a bath. right? would this mean you wouldnt need an IP rated ceiling extractor fan, Even if above a bath? this seems daft to me... common sence would say fit an IP rated fan.
Would it not matter about the IP rating aslong as its SELV and above a bath?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your thoughts about the zone above a bath is correct.

An item of electrical equipment is more likely to get splashed above a bath, especially if there is also a shower attachment.

I think common sense would prevail on this one though.

hi i just joined this site but dont know where to add my first post ?
can anyone help at all?
currently refurbished my bathroom but where there once was a old style bar heater on the wall with fused fcu switch i now want to replace it with a downflow creda fan heater using existing wiring and was wondering can i do this as i am no expert just a novice with electrics .
states in the instructions that the unit is double insulated fitted with a 2 core mains supply cable which is important that neither of these cores are connected to the earth terminals so with the 3 core mains cable from the ceiling do i just tape off the earth cable and connect corresponding live and neutral to the (load in) fcu terminals on the switch ??then connect the corresponding live and neutral cables from the heater to the (load out) live and neutral terminals on the switch ??
thanks

Reply to 2kw downflow bathroom fan heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock