Discuss A good example why not to use a Twist connector! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So how do you get them out of the wago push ins, and where is the testing point? , I'm not questioning it , I am just trying to persuade myself to use them!!!

Hold the cable to be removed in one hand and the connector in the other, then twist the connector about 90 degrees cw/ccw while constantly pulling on the cable. After a few seconds it will release with a nice "toothed" pattern on the conductor, but no damage done. If you look carefully, you will see a small hole which can be accessed by a fine probe tip for testing purposes.

Once you've used them, along with a LIneProducts enclosure, you'll never use a round JB again. Line also do the connectors which are no different to wago (just a tad cheaper).
Oh, and don't forget Line do a proper, compliant MF kit which is the bees knees and spider's ankles :)

Hold the cable to be removed in one hand and the connector in the other, then twist the connector about 90 degrees cw/ccw while constantly pulling on the cable. After a few seconds it will release with a nice "toothed" pattern on the conductor, but no damage done. If you look carefully, you will see a small hole which can be accessed by a fine probe tip for testing purposes.

Once you've used them, along with a LIneProducts enclosure, you'll never use a round JB again. Line also do the connectors which are no different to wago (just a tad cheaper).
Oh, and don't forget Line do a proper, compliant MF kit which is the bees knees and spider's ankles :)

whats the manufacturer's notes of yanking a cable out of a push in,is it reusable after that and how many times do they recommend the yanking/forcing out method before replacing the connector

So with an appropriate enclosure are wagos classed as mf? And is the line enclosure mf when linked with the wagos? ( I hate typing wago's!- I'm sure anyone with an iPad will agree! It makes me very hungry for wagon wheels!)

whats the manufacturer's notes of yanking a cable out of a push in,is it reusable after that and how many times do they recommend the yanking/forcing out method before replacing the connector

I don't believe it does the wago or cable any harm, and more than operating a spring does. That said, if I have a situation I know will require dismantling then I simply use the lever types.
For the record, no need to yank.

So with an appropriate enclosure are wagos classed as mf? And is the line enclosure mf when linked with the wagos? ( I hate typing wago's!- I'm sure anyone with an iPad will agree! It makes me very hungry for wagon wheels!)
well i think the jury`s still out on wether their maintanence free or not Rauer

As far as I'm aware, it is only the combination of the correct enclosure with MF marking, coupled with approved connectors, which give MF conformance.
Lineproducts do a special block which is an actuated push-in connection, much stronger than standard push-ins, along with appropriately marked cable ties, as an MF kit. Used loads of these with the standard Line enclosure under floorboards, and they are fantastic.

I don't believe it does the wago or cable any harm, and more than operating a spring does. That said, if I have a situation I know will require dismantling then I simply use the lever types.
For the record, no need to yank.

thats why i asked whats wagos stance on it,i dont think it will harm the cable,more the connector

Not quite true, as if the maker states they are maintenance free then this is fine as far as the regs go.
Manufacturers instructions and all that!
The MF logo is just a situation of confirmation.

I think Line connectors say they are one use only, once you try to remove the cable they are no longer usable, Wago does not state how many times, but do say they can be reused as far as I remember.

"Maintenance Free" is a mis-nomer IMHO. Nothing is truely manitenance free including cable, it can be said that some items do not require regular maintenance though.

I use Wago, for no other reason than I started using them before the LINE stuff and haven't changed as they do what I need them to do. If I'm fitting them under a floor/above a ceiling I use whatever enclosure I think is required.

For example, today I tidied up a couple of existing spurs and took a new spur from the other ring. The original was done using the round brown bakelite JBs laying loose on the ceiling below with the cables dangling/laying wherever they fell. I replaced them with Wagos enclosed in IP65 boxes as the room above is a bathroom, and screwed them to the joist then clipped the cables to the joist. The box didn't have 'MF' on it so by the letter of the law it's not suitable for underfloor use. However, in my professional opinion the materials and methods I have selected are more suitable than using those suggested as a minimum by the regulations.

A young sales person at Cities showed me (quite proudly) the "new" connectors they were stocking toda. Yep, plastic twist on caps. After a five minute soap box rant from me he put them away and we shall never speak of them again.

Not quite true, as if the maker states they are maintenance free then this is fine as far as the regs go.
Manufacturers instructions and all that!
The MF logo is just a situation of confirmation.

The MF logo is meant to confirm that the juncbox/connector meet the requirements of BS5733 for mf. BS5733 requires far higher performance than BS60998 (connectors) and BS60670 (enclosures). A requirement of BS5733 is that the product is marked BS5733 as well as MF so don't trust a product with just MF.

I think Line connectors say they are one use only, once you try to remove the cable they are no longer usable, Wago does not state how many times, but do say they can be reused as far as I remember.

If you bend a piece of metal enough times it will fatigue and lose spring. Push-ins are reusable (but if you yank out bin them) but don't over do it. I personally bin them after a few uses.

If you bend a piece of metal enough times it will fatigue and lose spring. Push-ins are reusable (but if you yank out bin them) but don't over do it. I personally bin them after a few uses.

That was my point really Farrel. If I have to gently remove a cable from a push-in, I will use it again. However, if I didn't feel tension when inserting the cable, or it pulls out on the tug-test, of course I would bin it.

I'm amazed how many contributors use variations on the theme of "Screwits". I avoided them like the plague when I was doing regular work as a sparky and now that I'm looking at coming back into the trade I'm quite worried by the many interpretations there are of "Maintenance free" and hence the use of such connectors.

I'm amazed how many contributors use variations on the theme of "Screwits". I avoided them like the plague when I was doing regular work as a sparky and now that I'm looking at coming back into the trade I'm quite worried by the many interpretations there are of "Maintenance free" and hence the use of such connectors.

Only one definition of MF: BS7671 Clause 526.3 vi.

The real problem is that some manufacturers like to make us believe that their products are MF so that we will buy them. This then fuels the confusion.

For the record, this was not discovered in the UK.
It was found on a military camp which is supposed to be British Standard!
LOL a mate of mine worked out in Libya where it was shocking the spark they sent out there came back after a week in 18 months there were several fires, electrocutions and some horrific potential accidents.

I the US they use these for speaker connections!

They are a load of rubbish.
They are lazy, also I cant imagine you would be able to get your test probes on them. And what is the target market? They are bigger than crimps, connector blocks, and push fit connectors, all of which are more suitable. You cant put them under the floor or in a place where they cant be maintained. Only time you might use them is for a light switch which has the feed going to it, which also is rubbish as 3 plating everything is better wiring method.

On a new install you shouldnt need them, should use junction boxes and connector blocks behind switches and in light fittings.

Are they even value for money?

They are a load of rubbish.
They are lazy, also I cant imagine you would be able to get your test probes on them. And what is the target market? They are bigger than crimps, connector blocks, and push fit connectors, all of which are more suitable. You cant put them under the floor or in a place where they cant be maintained. Only time you might use them is for a light switch which has the feed going to it, which also is rubbish as 3 plating everything is better wiring method.

On a new install you shouldnt need them, should use junction boxes and connector blocks behind switches and in light fittings.

Are they even value for money?

.......which opens up another question - the best way to deal with lighting circuits now that maintained JB's can't be 'inaccessible'. The spark who rewired my mum's 18 months ago now runs T&E back from every light fitting and every switch to one 45mm deep double patress in which he used one or more whole strips of choc blocks (and a Dymo labeller!). He fits the patress for the upstairs lights immediately inside the loft hatch and the one for downstairs in whatever cupboard is convenient (in mum's case in the pantry at ceiling level, above the CU, in others he says he often uses airing cupboards if they are in bedrooms not bathrooms, or fitted wardrobes, etc.).

I quite like this way of doing things as there are no junctions anywhere (MF or M) except one clearly labelled location, but it doesn't half use a lot of T&E.

Reply to A good example why not to use a Twist connector! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net