Discuss A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeaPower description
This is a diagram that details a new energy generating power from the expanding rise of air underwater
In the diagram, there are balloons that air was injected in the lower balloon. As the balloon rises it expands and this expansion is caused by the reducing pressure applied upon it.
Picture this as if each balloon was a hot air balloon with an opening at the bottom. The first balloon at the bottom is injected with air; as the balloon rises it expands creating more lifting power.
This is the same principal that keeps a boat afloat.
I realize that there must be a reason this idea won’t fly but as of yet I have not found it.
If you really believe this contraption won’t work, please explain; otherwise you don’t have a clue.
The lifting force is equal to the volume of water displaced. This is the same principal that keeps a boat afloat. One cubic foot of water weighs 64 lbs. A balloon that displaces 10 cubic feet of are has a lifting force of 640 lbs.A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not SEAPOWER - EletriciansForums.net

you are injecting a balloon with air. where does the power to do this come from?

Reactions: DPG
I'm not even going to try to unscramble the numbers on the drawing. Force is not measured in foot-pounds. Sea-water does not weigh 64 lbs per square foot. There seem to be some fundamental misconceptions.

In an ideal machine, the energy used to compress air at sea-level to fill one balloon at the bottom of the belt will be equal to the energy transferred to the belt as the balloon ascends back to sea-level, numerically the integral of the buoyancy force over the distance it moves. The balloon skin simply behaves like a piston of variable area, against which the air expands, a reverse analogue of what went on in the compressor cylinder. It's an air-motor using a liquid medium as a cylinder, nothing more, nothing less.

Next please.

It looks like the type of idea we all could invent in the bath ,
on a diet of baked beans.
(thanks for sharing - I'm always googling my "ideas" to find they are not original.
and now getting paranoid enough to think , Google may steal any original thought , - Similar to the terms of an "Employment contract" )

It looks like the type of idea we all could invent in the bath ,
on a diet of baked beans.
(thanks for sharing - I'm always googling my "ideas" to find they are not original.
and now getting paranoid enough to think , Google may steal any original thought , - Similar to the terms of an "Employment contract" )
O
SeaPower description
This is a diagram that details a new energy generating power from the expanding rise of air underwater
In the diagram, there are balloons that air was injected in the lower balloon. As the balloon rises it expands and this expansion is caused by the reducing pressure applied upon it.
Picture this as if each balloon was a hot air balloon with an opening at the bottom. The first balloon at the bottom is injected with air; as the balloon rises it expands creating more lifting power.
This is the same principal that keeps a boat afloat.
I realize that there must be a reason this idea won’t fly but as of yet I have not found it.
If you really believe this contraption won’t work, please explain; otherwise you don’t have a clue.
The lifting force is equal to the volume of water displaced. This is the same principal that keeps a boat afloat. One cubic foot of water weighs 64 lbs. A balloon that displaces 10 cubic feet of are has a lifting force of 640 lbs.View attachment 52190
mr. Curious you will have to find someone smarter than me. I got no idea what you are talking about and I’ve worked in a hydroelectric power plant and it just has a dam and the water dropping down turning turbines

.... got no idea what you are talking about ...........
A little bit of Physics .. mixed with common sense
is the best basis for "Looks plausible - Never done before schemes " .. as they are breaking the laws of physics in a subtle way.
volume of water displaced by an expanding air bubble
..Looks good
Put it in a piston chamber , it will expand (only if it started a higher pressure ) final step at surface
.. will have minimum force -not so impressive
(In the UK some Employment contracts -claim your inventions)

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG
Here is another look at the system. The bubbles are more like hot air balloons but instead of heat, air is added. As the air bubble rises, it expands creating more lifting force. When all six (6) bubbles have air in them they combine this lifting force.
A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not SEAPOWER - EletriciansForums.net

But how are you filling the balloons with air?

Here is another look at the system. The bubbles are more like hot air balloons but instead of heat, air is added. As the air bubble rises, it expands creating more lifting force. When all six (6) bubbles have air in them they combine this lifting force.

But the problem is that the energy used to move the air to the bottom of the system will be more than the energy output from the system.

The balloons will expand yes, but the amount of air in them will remain the same, it will just be less compressed. The lifting force won't change as it rises.

@justcurioustwo why don’t you build it.....film it......and prove all us doubters wrong?
This is a simply mechanical machine that utilized the rising force of balloons with air in them. You can also envision this as inverted umbrellas. What makes this “work” is the combining lifting force of multiple umbrellas with expanding air in them. The result is an increase in “force”; that I am now trying to convert into watts and the speed these rising balloons are traveling.
Maybe someone here with more technical knowledge can help me out in this. Once done we can the evaluate whether it is a zero-sum game or whatever.
[automerge]1570554876[/automerge]
But the problem is that the energy used to move the air to the bottom of the system will be more than the energy output from the system.

The balloons will expand yes, but the amount of air in them will remain the same, it will just be less compressed. The lifting force won't change as it rises.

You state that the lifting force will not change as the balloons expand. This might be my Achilles heel. The lifting force is equal to the water being displaced. At 1 ATM the volume of air under this umbrella is 300 cubic feet. This same 300 cubic feet if air under an umbrella at a depth of 594 feet is under a pressure of 264.6 p.s.i.; has a volume of 16.66 cubic feet.
As the umbrella rises the air bubble expands pushing out more water.
If I understand your statement correctly, please tell me how a balloon displacing 16 cubic feet has an equal rising force of a balloon displacing 100 cubic feet?
I am sure I am wrong, and you are right but just saying so is not convincing enough for me.
Please elaborate on your point of view.
Thanks in advance.
[automerge]1570555397[/automerge]
There is one more thing I need help on, and this is the place I can get it. I am trying to compute two values.
[1] The electrical output of this machine.
[2] The speed of the rising bubbles.

Last edited:
Just an observation on [2]
A trade off , how often a new bubble can be added , vs how much
water resistance -friction slows the system down ...
Let it run free ,it will go its fastest but make no energy.
(plus maybe a short stint of overspeed as its stored inertia comes out)
A slower speed , less water friction -- more energy recovered .
( less opportunity to gather energy as its running slower )
Remember boats ! (built like barges , travel slowly compared to cars)
Hold a cupped water wheel under water , and let some air bubbles in .
( a scale model -simplified will be easier to see its shortcomings )
..For super expanding bubbles .. cool butane gas !.. (sorry global warming)

Last edited:
There is one more thing I need help on, and this is the place I can get it. I am trying to compute two values.

To work out the electrical output of the machine you will need to know how you are converting the output into electricity and the efficiency of that system.
I assume the output of your machine is mechanical via a rotating shaft? And also assume that this will couple to an alternator to produce electricity?
In which case the electrical output will be the mechanical output power of the machine minus the losses through the mechanical linkage and the alternator itself.

You also need to factor in to the overall efficiency how much energy is used in controlling the alternator and regulating its output.
For the electricity to be useful it must be regulated, otherwise you could output varying voltage and frequency which will damage any connected loads.

To work out the electrical output of the machine you will need to know how you are converting the output into electricity and the efficiency of that system.
The inverted umbrellas (balloons) are attached to a cable that turns a DC generator at the top or it could be an AC generator or both. To determine the efficiency of the system requires you to compare it to a system that has no deficiencies.
I assume the output of your machine is mechanical via a rotating shaft? And also assume that this will couple to an alternator to produce electricity?
Your assumption is correct
In which case the electrical output will be the mechanical output power of the machine minus the losses through the mechanical linkage and the alternator itself.
I totally agree
You also need to factor in to the overall efficiency how much energy is used in controlling the alternator and regulating its output.
I totally agree
For the electricity to be useful it must be regulated, otherwise you could output varying voltage and frequency which will damage any connected loads.
Again, I agree
The inverted umbrellas (balloons) are attached to a cable that turns a DC generator at the top or it could be an AC generator or both. To determine the efficiency of the system requires you to compare it to a system that has no deficiencies.

At this stage of the game I need to determine is this system is possible. If it is; then a three-dimensional computer model of the system needs to be written showing real time results with the ability to change variables in order to maximize output.

Not any nearer friction losses , but did look up dive tanks.
230bar x 12 litres = 1.2MJoules of stored energy.
Why they regularily inspect aluminium tanks (-400 withdrawn annually -USA--out of millions )
From distant memories of Air lifting bags used to lift sunken ship treasure. Just need electricity bill from a dive shop next !

Again, I agree

At this stage of the game I need to determine is this system is possible. If it is; then a three-dimensional computer model of the system needs to be written showing real time results with the ability to change variables in order to maximize output.

It could turn a dynamo to produce DC or an alternator to produce AC, or as you say it could be both (though this will, I think, decrease efficiency further). What do you intend to power from it? This will determine whether it is AC or DC.
Unless it is for a dedicated specific application then I'd assume you'll want to produce AC.

Is it possible to build this system? Yes, if you throw enough money at it you can build it.
Is it possible to build it and make money from it? highly unlikely in my opinion.

Is it possible to build this system? Yes, if you throw enough money at it you can build it.
Is it possible to build it and make money from it? highly unlikely in my opinion.

I have no interest in making money from this. I already have a great job that pays for all my needs.
[automerge]1571105811[/automerge]
Why I am here--
Awhile back I started a number of forum topics that started with “End Of Oil; WHAT NEXT?”. I was trying to inform people that oil is finite, and we will run out.

It's time to look forward and find solutions before we are forced to. (link removed by admin)

Now that renewables are being utilized in many countries, I decided to come up with a renewable too which uses the force of gravity and pressure under water.

Of course, it will more than likely not work, but it’s fun trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several people who can see the writing on the wall. Fossil fuel as our major energy provider is ending. Your grandchildren will not be driving gasoline powered cars.
This insight created the green new deal, hybrid’s and the re-invention of the electric car. My efforts are along those same lines; trying to find the “what next”; a new era of renewables.
I am aware that the SeaEngine is a long shot but at least I’m trying.
You can’t fault me for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock