Discuss A question about torque screwdrivers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He should of teamed up with Lord Armstrong. Bit of an age difference , but who cares. :)
Too true, with Tyneside manufacturing. I'm just thinking of the possibilities for industry around these parts but we could have been years ahead in all sorts of fields. Mind you, there were always money men to cut the futuristic down to size.

Too true, with Tyneside manufacturing. I'm just thinking of the possibilities for industry around these parts but we could have been years ahead in all sorts of fields. Mind you, there were always money men to cut the futuristic down to size.
That's what basically happened to Tesla. Armstrong was a bit more pragmatic.
We did Ok though with leading the world with inventions during the Victorian era.
Armstrong was ahead of his times with his views. Here is a cut from Wikepedia.

Armstrong advocated the use of renewable energy. Stating that coal "was used wastefully and extravagantly in all its applications", he predicted in 1863 that Britain would cease to produce coal within two centuries.[4] As well as advocating the use of hydroelectricity, he also supported solar power, stating that the amount of solar energy received by an area of 1 acre (4,000 m2) in the tropics would "exert the amazing power of 4,000 horses acting for nearly nine hours every day".[13]

I have been umming and arghing about a torque screwdriver for some time but have not yet bought one.

My fears are the following:

1. There are set torque settings that conductors in a consumer unit should adhere to. However, in the neutral bar which are screw terminals I tend to screw a 6mm in tighter than a 1mm (for example), as if you screw in a 1mm too tight it can shear. You can screw in a 6mm pretty much as tight as you can without fear of it going through the copper. I cant see how a torque screwdriver distinguishes between a 1mm and 6mm. Does it? Does it need to?

2. Are torque screwdrivers always accurate? If I use my normal screwdriver I have a 'fairly', if not 'very' precise feel for how tight I have made the connection. This experience will only improve over the years and you will make varying degrees of tightness as required. You lose this with a torque screwdriver and put all your trust in the mechanism.

I wonder if a torque screwdriver may not be a good option for someone who knows how to use a screwdriver properly? However, I am very much open to persuasion hence the post.
Happy in the US in the 2020 NEC edition we have adopted that all that terminations be torqued to the manufacture ins-trucking and pass inspection by code enforcement

One last thing about this..

Do you have to send off your screwdriver to be calibrated or can you buy some sort of calibrating tool to do it yourself?

i calibrate mine . if it clicks, it works.

can just imagine Fuzz Towshend saying " i can't refit this cylinder head in time as my torque wrench is away for calibration".

One last thing about this..

Do you have to send off your screwdriver to be calibrated or can you buy some sort of calibrating tool to do it yourself?

There's various online places, that'll be willing to take your hard earned cash. Personally I would overly worry, until there's some mandatory or requirement thing, like with MFT's & Schemes.

Perhaps once in a while, but then I'd probably buy a new, and sell the old one to someone on here :)

How do you get the calibration tool calibrated? :innocent:. A snip at £130.00.
[automerge]1583705818[/automerge]
Anyone have one of the torque check device's and can confirm what driver is needed to use it, I know it comes with them, but wanted to know if it can be used with other torque drivers.
[automerge]1583705974[/automerge]
Looks like an Allen key on the end, and also looks as though it only checks at 2.8Nm.

Last edited:
The standard that torque screwdrivers are manufactured to (EN ISO 6789:2017) states that the first re-calibration should be carried out 12 months after first use or 5000 actuations (whichever comes first). How many people are going to actually count how many times it has clicked and document it? So 12 months it is.;)

Anyone who has their torque equipment inspected should be able to produce a valid calibration certificate to prove the calibration has been carried out to the standard quoted above. If they can't, then in theory the torque screwdriver is not being used correctly.

The reason people use one is to prove that they've done everything in their power to install to a manufacturers recommendations with regard to terminal torque settings.

There are many accredited companies around who can calibrate torque equipment. Some of the meter calibration companies have started doing it now too.

It can prove to be quite expensive when you consider the actual cost of the calibration check coupled with possible carriage costs. That's before you take into account the potential for maybe paying for an adjustment too. Many people have said they may as well buy a new torque screwdriver handle instead.

A check tool is a peace of mind thing really. Just to satisfy yourself that your handle is doing what you think it should be. Only a valid calibration certificate will satisfy the standard though.

If you buy a new torque screwdriver most of the time the calibration certificate will appear to be out of date. There are many factors that influence this including time from factory to warehouse, time from warehouse to wholesaler, shelf time at the wholesaler. As I said the first re-calibration should be carried out 12 months after the first use. The date of the first use can be taken as day of purchase (as it can't have been used before then, also assuming that it hasn't been purchased second hand) so therefore if you keep your purchase invoice with the original certificate this should satisfy any inspection and the date on the invoice should be taken as proof of the first possible use, not the date on the original calibration certificate.

Lastly, good working practice should lead you to wind the handle down to its lowest setting when not in use. This releases the tension from the spring mechanism inside and reduces the risk of having to have an adjustment carried out at calibration (if indeed the handle is able to be adjusted).

So who writes the certificate of calibration if you have the Wiha self test unit, are testing certificates available for you to fill them out yourself?

if CU designers were that fussy about torque settings, then they should at least make the terminals so that they didn't cam out before specified torque is reached.

if CU designers were that fussy about torque settings, then they should at least make the terminals so that they didn't cam out before specified torque is reached.
This is the problem with low torques, it is not so bad on new equipment, but a bit of crud on old fittings can influence a low torque.

Reply to A question about torque screwdrivers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net