Discuss Adding a fused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eskimo39

Hi guys I have been asked to add a spur to feed an extraction hood in a friends kitchen. Their is a double socket available to take a 13amp FSpur from.

I have made a quick drawing here:

Adding a fused spur {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The bit in red is what I am wanting to do. Can anyone tell me if this is within regulations? I will take a 2.5mm2 cable vertically from socket to the spur (Red Square) and then take a 1.5mm2 cable horizontally into the void behing the decorative chimney. Obviously the wires will be buried and capped before been filled.

By keeping to the vertical and horizontal rule would this be an acceptable way of powering the hood.

Also in terms of connecting the 1.5 to the hood flex, can I just use a terminal block enclosed in a chocbox?

Thanks very much

Nothing wrong with your zones and routes.

Best way yo connect up is 1.5 out of the spur to behind the chimney and use a small round 20A JB to connect up to hood flex.

Nice drawing by the way!

All looks good but don't forget, check for rcd protection as your burying cables and it's notifiable being in a kitchen.:)

all looks good, you mentioned 13amp fused spur. i'am sure you know it will probably be 3 or 5 for the hood

That drawings a bit flash eskimo:) What did you do that on? very good

Thanks for the fast replies. Just did it in Photoshop.

The sockets in the kitchen are RCD protected so the spur would also be. I checked and it requires a 5amp fuse.

I've got a load of 20a JB's so will use one of them.

Thanks again

Thanks for the fast replies. Just did it in Photoshop.

The sockets in the kitchen are RCD protected so the spur would also be. I checked and it requires a 5amp fuse.

I've got a load of 20a JB's so will use one of them.

Thanks again

im using photoshop from now on ! i know that much ! with pics like that should keep building control and niceic assessor happy during my domestic installer assessment great result !

Mod edit: Swearing WILL result in you being banned

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd put the Fused spur next to the existing socket, so that the extractor hood can be isolated easily if needed. I'd use either a 13amp socket and plug or a flex outlet plate for the connection to the hood cable. Junction boxes should be put behind things.

Reply to Adding a fused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock