Discuss adding extra solar panels to motorhome in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andrewh88

DIY
Reaction score
hello guys this is my first post, i hope I am posting this one on the right section. aamseee

I am looking for some advise.

i have bought a Motorhome which has a solar panel (100w) and a leisure battery 110ah i am thinking of upgrade the solar panel by adding 1 or 2 two 100 Watts panels, my current solar charger is kemo m174 16 amps ( 8 amps each battery, i only have one connected ).

As i am living on it having it done by a caravan service center is going to be really expensive also in terms of accommodation.

the options i though of are:

1) connect the new solar panels in parallel and then to the existing charger ( 14 v x 8 amps ) without adding an extra leisure battery.

2) options 1 adding an extra leisure battery in parallel.

3) buy two extra solar panels and a separate charger feeding the same battery.

my doubts are :

Will the system be able to deal with extra amperage from the new leisure batteries / solar panels?

will the charger be able to deal with extra power coming from the added solar panels?

what are your thoughts on this ideas.

thanks for taking the time to read this and please excuse my poor English

best regards

Andrea

Following with interest as I have a very simple setup at home which was a Solar Panel from a Caravan, feeding through the Control Box to a bank of 4 x 12v Car Batteries. The amount of power I get, bearing in mind the Panel is only 4' x 2' is impressive. With normal usage it lasts for days, I run a 12v lighting circuit into my 'den' and in there run several items with 12v, so there is almost always some current draw.

We charge all Phones, Tablets etc from this system, not used a mains charger for over 3 years. 4 x Phones, 3 x Tablets. Then there is an enclosure I use for breeding my Tropical Moths, which is fully connected to the 12v. Heating pads, when its cool, extracting fans when its hot and the lighting and a Temperature display so I know what it is doing.

I also want to add more panels just not sure how to do it, yet.

Reply to adding extra solar panels to motorhome in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net