Discuss Additional switch for extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

stefanr

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the UK and have recently had a ducted extractor fan Mixflo 200W with timer fitted. The fan comes on with the pull cord and runs for 2 minutes after the light is switched off. So far so good.

Some family members don't like the humming and to be fair most of the time the fan doesn't need to run.

Question: I'm considering fitting an additional wireless switch and receiver so that I can override the fan, essentially stop it from coming on when it's not wanted.

Am I ok with something like this for the switch Ener-J WS1050X Eco 1G Wireless Kinetic Switch - https://lamplec.co.uk/ProductDetails/?code=WS1050X and this for the receiver Ener-J WS1055X Eco Non Dimmable 500W RF Receiver - https://lamplec.co.uk/ProductDetails/?code=WS1055X or is there anything I should be aware of?

I've in the past fitted one of these switches to a light that was already on a wired switch and that all worked great.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Stefan

TL;DR
Can I fit a wireless switch to an existing extractor fan that activates on a light pull?
Can you not just turn the fan isolator off.

I could but then the fan won't work at all. What I'm trying to achieve is having it work as it is now but also the ability to override and disable it when it's not needed which is about 4 out of 5 times a day when it comes on.
I want a second off switch basically and wondered if that wireless switch I posted was suitable.

Thanks.

Reactions: DPG
I could but then the fan won't work at all. What I'm trying to achieve is having it work as it is now but also the ability to override and disable it when it's not needed which is about 4 out of 5 times a day when it comes on.
I want a second off switch basically and wondered if that wireless switch I posted was suitable.

Thanks.

This is why I have a fan with integral pullcord in my bathroom. Most of the time, especially during summer months, the bathroom light is rarely used. And often when we do use the light, we don't need the fan on.

Or you could go for a fan with a humidistat.

On the OP, you mention it runs on for only 2 minutes…. That’s hardly going to be a nuisance…. In fact it wouldn’t have time to clear a steamy bathroom after the light has gone off.

Fans are so much more sensible on their own separate switch… then you can have light without fan, and vice versa. That switch can indeed be wireless if you want… but that’s adding complexity

I believe it’s mandatory to have a fan linked to the light switch, with a run on timer, in bathrooms with no ventilation (ie, no opening window)

Reactions: DPG
On the OP, you mention it runs on for only 2 minutes…. That’s hardly going to be a nuisance…. In fact it wouldn’t have time to clear a steamy bathroom after the light has gone off.

Fans are so much more sensible on their own separate switch… then you can have light without fan, and vice versa. That switch can indeed be wireless if you want… but that’s adding complexity

I believe it’s mandatory to have a fan linked to the light switch, with a run on timer, in bathrooms with no ventilation (ie, no opening window)

Thank you.
We do have a window. Do you think my idea (even if is adds complexity) is workable? Nothing fundamentally wrong that I am missing?

Reply to Additional switch for extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net