Discuss ADT Door Contracts - poor advice given in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All, been a while since been on. Life very hectic.. Hope all are well.. Anyway..

Very regular customer tied into an exorbitant ADT contract. Last time she called them out was to A) remove magnetic door contact from door and B) return and refit contact on new door.. Cost +£1000.00 yes over a grand..!

Situation now is old warped door in cellar. Gap between wired contact and the secondary contact is only 7mm at most but alarm won't set. Wedged a bit of wood to keep the door tighter and alarm is now on.

Is the non-wired part of an ADT door contact ok to remove and put a spacer underneath...? The wired part will upset the tamper and cost silly silly money I would think.
There is no secondary wireless tamper I may not realise is there...

Thoughts appreciated.. Ta.
[automerge]1572995505[/automerge]
This is the proximity key if that helps at all...

And anyone who can give a surefire answer gets half of the callout fee - I will charge a mere £600!!!
[automerge]1572995784[/automerge]
Hi All, been a while since been on. Life very hectic.. Hope all are well.. Anyway..

Very regular customer tied into an exorbitant ADT contract. Last time she called them out was to A) remove magnetic door contact from door and B) return and refit contact on new door.. Cost +£1000.00 yes over a grand..!

Situation now is old warped door in cellar. Gap between wired contact and the secondary contact is only 7mm at most but alarm won't set. Wedged a bit of wood to keep the door tighter and alarm is now on.

Is the non-wired part of an ADT door contact ok to remove and put a spacer underneath...? The wired part will upset the tamper and cost silly silly money I would think.
There is no secondary wireless tamper I may not realise is there...

Thoughts appreciated.. Ta.
[automerge]1572995505[/automerge]
This is the proximity key if that helps at all...

And anyone who can give a surefire answer gets half of the callout fee - I will charge a mere £600!!!

I did put a photo on but it has disappeared with the 'posts merged' malarkey...

Proximity is a tiny green tag with an almost WiFi symbol.. approx 23mm by 19mm ish!! I guess that won't help though and the prox keys are the prox keys...

Last edited:
Thanks.. I knew it was really!! Just had this vision of ADT using some secondary wireless tamper in their kit just to be bar stewards!! Didn't want to unscrew the cover and have them charging the customer silly money...

Also the mere seven millimetre gap is a bit on the harsh side..I thought they would be good for 10mm minimum...

Just for extra reassurance , it's from a U.S site, but ADT is ADT;

Just for extra reassurance , it's from a U.S site, but ADT is ADT;
Speak to camerabloke he used to work for ADT "Alf a Days Training" as he used to call them

Isn’t there an engineers code to disable the tamper? Then you can do what you like.
If it’s one of those monitored systems, there must be a way without calling ADT themselves at that price.

Thanks.. I knew it was really!! Just had this vision of ADT using some secondary wireless tamper in their kit just to be bar stewards!! Didn't want to unscrew the cover and have them charging the customer silly money...

Also the mere seven millimetre gap is a bit on the harsh side..I thought they would be good for 10mm minimum...

magnets can lose some of their strength over time. you can get bigger ones to overcome the gap. even chang the contact for a heavy dut one. ( that's with surface mount ones. if it's a flush in the door type, you could replace with heavy duty surface type.as long as you leave the tamper circuit intact ( this may include resistor/s ), you'll get no trouble. )

all pubs will be on red care so if the tamper goes off then it will go back to the moderating station .with out the enginners code then you can not open the panal.

All sorted, a spacer has been put in behind it. It was a big old magnet in there though - must have been a good 16mm thick. The plastic casing on it is also really oversized compared to 'standard' door contacts, which is what made me wonder if there was something else within it.
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm glad that the customer only has to pay my reasonable fee rather than the offensive prices they would charge.. and the Alf a Days Training sounds about right, there were three ADT lads on my 2330 and they were useless.. utterly useless!

For the prices that ADT charge you might aswell tell the customer to get another alarm company to maintain their alarm.

The ADT alarm will be locked so no one else can maintain it but by the time the different alarm company has charged to come in, rip out the old panel and fit their own stuff they will probably still be saving money in the long run.

The alarm company I work for just charges a £55 callout for each visit when a customer gets new doors. So £110 max...

Depends on the panel, but the one in my photo I was able to reset the codes and do the required zone and bell alterations without much effort.

For the prices that ADT charge you might aswell tell the customer to get another alarm company to maintain their alarm.

The ADT alarm will be locked so no one else can maintain it but by the time the different alarm company has charged to come in, rip out the old panel and fit their own stuff they will probably still be saving money in the long run.

The alarm company I work for just charges a £55 callout for each visit when a customer gets new doors. So £110 max...

They are changing to a local company as soon as they can. They got charged over £1000 for a very simple job through ADT that required two visits each less than an hour. She queried the bill but they would not budge and she ended up paying it. She really dislikes them passionately now (to put it mildly!)... Her other business premises has a fully monitored system installed by a local company where they charge a fair rate and they are spot on to deal with..

the trouble about big companys like and did two charge the customer for the prilvage for them installing their alarm in the property .so if the alarm goes off in the pub the police are called and they get a call the pubs alarm gone off.

Reply to ADT Door Contracts - poor advice given in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock