Discuss Advice for outdoor conduit and spare cable storage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to install three IP cameras around my house and I already have CAT6 cable run from inside the house to three points on the outside of the house near where I plan to put the cameras. I only need to run the CAT6 cable to the camera locations as it will be used for data and power.

Can I please get some advice from experts here about the following two things:

1. What is the right type of conduit or trunking to use when travelling cable along walls on the outside of the house? Obviously the priority is something which best protects the cable from both weather and malicious damage. But something which is not going to stick out like a sore thumb and is even paintable would also be good.

2. I'll have extra CAT6 cable left once I've run it to the location each camera will go and I don't want to cut it so I believe I can get a weatherproof box which the conduit/trunking can run into and which can also hold all the extra cable inside. I would mount the camera onto this box. What is this type of box called?

Thank you in advance for your help!

You can use either plastic or metal conduit.
Metal conduit being the best for protection against malicious damage.
A waterproof IP65/67 adaptable box.
It may be an idea to cover any connections with heat shrink.
Silicon spray is also good for protection against corrosion.

When I look on Screwfix or other DIY places they never seem to specify outdoor suitability for plastic conduit - is that because plastic conduit can be used indoors or outdoors?

Is conduit always circular? Can it not be bought in a more flattened square shape?

Adaptable box is what I was thinking of - thanks!

Do you mean heat shrink covering for connections between conduit and adaptable boxes and joints where I may need to take the conduit round a corner etc?

For a single cat 6 I’d look at using the small steel conduit used for burglar alarms.

I would avoid Plastic, it will end up looking like a donkey's hind leg after a hard winter and sunny summer and you will have to rip it down.

Attachments

• HOW TO TERMINATE RJ45.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 16
I'd mount the cameras on the soffits and run the cables in the loft, then you'd need to knock the house down if you wanted to vandalise the CCTV cables - or is that what you're trying to avoid?

Why not have the spare cable length coiled up indoors ?
Good idea but I can't because the cable has already been run (when the house was being renovated) under floorboards and between floors etc. so I wouldn't just be able to pull at it from the storage area indoors and bring all the extra cable in. I suppose what I could try is pushing as much of the cable as I can, back into the hole it is coming out of to get outside. I'll have to put a protective box (adaptable box) in that location too so could store the spare cable at that point.

I'd mount the cameras on the soffits and run the cables in the loft, then you'd need to knock the house down if you wanted to vandalise the CCTV cables - or is that what you're trying to avoid?
As mentioned above, because the cable has already been run around the house I'm really only looking at solutions for storing the extra cable on the outside...

As mentioned above I wouldn't have a big plastic carbuncle full of cable on the outside of my house just to save on proper planning.

Reply to Advice for outdoor conduit and spare cable storage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net