Discuss Advice Needed Regarding Potential Rodent Damage To Electrical Cables/System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bazzzy

Hi All,

I was advised by a member of another tech forum to ask for help over here. We have had an influx of Rats & Mice at our home over the last six months.

We got very badly screwed over by a Pest Controller that was recommended to us - he told us that he had checked the drains & that was not their entry point (which it actually was). He then said he had properly filled in all the entry points in the house so was 99.99% certain they would not come back.

He then stopped coming round for check ups when we were still getting a large number of rodents. One of the entry points was in the cupboard under the stairs where the Circuit Breaker Boxes are & all the cables that lead from under it into the floorboards.

It was found that the rats had begun to chew into one/some of the cables leaving a part of it/them exposed of the copper inside.

The view I was told was that it was not that bad & covering up the damaged part with insulation tape would be good enough.

After this pest controller would not respond to our calls to deal with more rats coming in, I got another one round to inspect things. He found that not any of the entry points round the house had been sealed as promised & that the cupboard under stairs had massive entry points as the floorboards were just left unsecured & partly open so the rats were able to easily get in & out.

Because the first pest controller totally lied about sealing the entry points & even made things much worse by leaving the floorboards unsecured, I am really now a little concerned at how bad the damage to the electrical cables might have been & if it was just a bodge job putting electrical tape over the damaged part however small. I was under so much stress at the time, I trusted what I was told.

I have no way to know if that was the only damage done by rats or of there might be more under the floorboards & elsewhere in the property as the rats were pretty much in/under the floor & inside walls in all the rooms on the ground floor.

I have been told that I need to get something called a EICR Test to be done on a circuit by circuit(?) basis & not a couple of simple tests at the CU.

May I ask, is this something that all electricians can carry out & will they be able to check for any damage/issues that cannot be seen due to the cables being inaccessible as they are under floors, inside walls etc?

I cannot see how they would be visually able to check as there are places that will not even allow cameras to access - does that mean many exposed/damaged cables might just stay that way & pose a potential risk for the future?

Is this EICR test done a circuit by circuit basis enough & how much would it reasonably cost? Is there anything else that can also de done along side it to get a bigger/more accurate assessment of any further damage the rats might have caused?

Sadly, a couple of days ago, my very elderly & disabled mother got bit twice by rats whilst she was sleeping & I thought if they have no issue biting humans then they might and had a real go at the cables. They have already bitten through a large amount of concrete under a room to make a channel into the house & chewed on interior hard wood doors to make ports etc they can travel through.]

Apologies for my novice level & lack of knowledge about these sort of things,

Many Kind Thanks,

Bazzzie.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes an eicr will be a test off all circuits. some older electricians might still call it a pir if you ask them.

they will check the insulation resistance of the cable or in other words the resistance between L-N-E.

an eicr can be carried out by any electrician but i would recommend someone with testing experience.

if they have 2391,2392 or 2394+2395 this will prove they have a fair bit of testing experience.

any electrician can do the testing but i would suggest you get a recommendation first.

where roughly do you live? someone here might be able to give it a quick look

Last edited:
A properly experienced and qualified electrician will be able to carry out an EICR properly paying extra attention to the possibility of rodent damage if you ask them too.
You as the customer can specify exactly how much or little of the installation is inspected and tested.

Having passed a course doesn't prove experience, it only proves knowledge. Anyone who has completed an apprenticeship should have the experience to carry out domestic inspection and test without further qualifications.

Firstly you need to get rid of the mice/rats otherwise any repaired circuits will just get damaged further.

Many electricians have inspection cameras which can often see as far as 2 meters under a floor or even inside a wall. I'd suggest getting one in to check the damage. Also just taping the cables isn't great, they could be a fire hazard, cables can be repaired in many cases using ferrules and heatshrink insulation but again you be better getting the opinion of a professional who can actually assess the damage first-hand.

Hope your mother is ok for starters, sounds like a bad situation. First thing, get rid of the horrible infestation.
Then it's a case of getting in someone with experience and qualification to do a thorough inspection, as has been said.

Hi All,

Wow, what an awesome forum - kind replies so soon! Just to let you know, I am in a place called Harrow (used ti be a nice place!) in NW London.

I am pretty sure there are still rats in the house the entry point into the house where they channelled a route in was only blocked off a few days ago & we may not have identified if that was the only one. We have been catching both adult & plenty of baby ones so they must be breeding in the house somewhere - we have yet to find the nest so I am guessing there must be quite few that need to be got rid off.

In view of this, should any inspection be done asap or when the pest controller feels the infestation has been eliminated?

I will now try & find a decent & experienced electrician & ask if they have the experience of testing & number designations as mentioned - do I have to ask them to bring in certificates etc or will they expect me just to trust what they say? I really do not know any & have had bad luck with workmen (seems to be in my Karma!) so I hope I find one!

Any idea of what the costs might be & will they give me any certificates/paperwork confirming if everything is OK or say what work has been done (for insurance purposes just in case something down the road happens).

I have attached a pics of one of the ways identified as to how they got through if it may give a clue as to how many might have accumulated & bred over the last 6 months & in case this it might give an idea of any potential damage likely to have been caused by their numbers. Also one as to the type of damage they have been doing.

Sorry if the pics are a bit big!

Bazzzie.

deffo get the rat problem sorted they will damage everything cables will be chewed over and over again. use traps and the poison bait keep topping up bait until they stop taking it.( traps inside and bait outside )
my daughter got a rat in her kitchen we found the entry point and assumed it had gone so blocked it up.She heard scratching during the night so we baited traps with bacon (you can tie this to the trap "trigger" then coat it with peanut butter the butter atracts them and the bacon sets off the trap without fail (without bacon the clever oves just lick it off carefully)

it works see picture below seems we got both ends

Last edited by a moderator:
In view of this, should any inspection be done asap or when the pest controller feels the infestation has been eliminated?
I would say if your installation has an RCD protecting the sockets you could leave the inspection until the pest controllers have eliminated the problem. If you have no RCD in you consumer unit it may be better to get an inspection sooner rather than later.

.....I really do not know any & have had bad luck with workmen (seems to be in my Karma!) so I hope I find one!
I'd suggest you wait and see if one of the more established members on the forum is close to you, if they're one of the longer standing and active forum members then you're very likely to get someone who will do a thorough job at a fair price. I'd guess to do a thorough inspection of an average 2 or 3 bedroomed house you'd be looking at 3 hours (plus / minus) work, maybe a bit longer depending on the house and the installation.

I'll second the advice for peanut butter! They love it. And nuttella. Its a shame I'm too far away, I'd have come down and shot them for free!

I hope your mother is OK, must have been a very nasty experience.

All the best

I would say if your installation has an RCD protecting the sockets you could leave the inspection until the pest controllers have eliminated the problem. If you have no RCD in you consumer unit it may be better to get an inspection sooner rather than later.

I'd suggest you wait and see if one of the more established members on the forum is close to you, if they're one of the longer standing and active forum members then you're very likely to get someone who will do a thorough job at a fair price. I'd guess to do a thorough inspection of an average 2 or 3 bedroomed house you'd be looking at 3 hours (plus / minus) work, maybe a bit longer depending on the house and the installation.

Hi,

How would I check if we have this RCD protection you mentioned? I can take pics of the two Circuit Breaker Boxes if that might help?

Our house is a 5 Bed Semi (garage converted into a room with another from on top) & with a conservatory at the back. I think it is a 1920-1930 build.

I'll second the advice for peanut butter! They love it. And nuttella. Its a shame I'm too far away, I'd have come down and shot them for free!

I hope your mother is OK, must have been a very nasty experience.

All the best

Hi,

You are welcome anytime! We have been using peanut butter but the buggers having been leaving it alone for most of the time! My family are strict vegetarians (I love a bacon nutty though) & my sister has panic attacks every time she sees a rat so I think I might be able to get away with using bacon this time.

The new pest controller also has used peanut butter with a chunk of chocolate bunged in but again, the critters just seem to be avoiding it for some reason.

The smell of them is still quite strong still - we spent that last 3 days cleaning & disinfecting the whole house as much as possible but no matter what we do, the smell just will not go away.

deffo get the rat problem sorted they will damage everything cables will be chewed over and over again. use traps and the poison bait keep topping up bait until they stop taking it.( traps inside and bait outside )
my daughter got a rat in her kitchen we found the entry point and assumed it had gone so blocked it up.She heard scratching during the night so we baited traps with bacon (you can tie this to the trap "trigger" then coat it with peanut butter the butter atracts them and the bacon sets off the trap without fail (without bacon the clever oves just lick it off carefully)

it works see picture below seems we got both ends

mmmm a good ole' gin trap...if anyone asks,the rodent licked poison off the rim of that "de-activated" antique...:yes:

.......The smell of them is still quite strong still - we spent that last 3 days cleaning & disinfecting the whole house as much as possible but no matter what we do, the smell just will not go away.
That's the problem with poison, they eat it and curl up and die somewhere else later so the dead ones smell bad for weeks afterwards. We use a 12 gauge short barrel shotgun and salt shells but I'm not sure it would be appropriate if you've got neighbours.

That's the problem with poison, they eat it and curl up and die somewhere else later so the dead ones smell bad for weeks afterwards. We use a 12 gauge short barrel shotgun and salt shells but I'm not sure it would be appropriate if you've got neighbours.
....Or law enforcement!:) But if it's not a problem the guy in my avatar is available!

Last edited:

Ooohh,you and your liberal firearm use legislation....this is what we have to deal with; If i load salt into a shotgun cartridge,and any part congeals into a particle,larger than .32 of an inch,i then need a firearm cert (NOT shotgun cert),to possess and use it...

...BUT,on the shotgun cert,i can have a deck gun,off a destroyer,smooth bore it,and use that....with appropriate shot filled cartridges...

It really is easier to send the rat a strongly worded e-mail...

And,i am surprised no one has mentioned re-homing the lady,until the rodent problem is sorted...she stands a MUCH bigger risk of contracting Weils disease,than any electrocution hazard...

Ooohh,you and your liberal firearm use legislation....this is what we have to deal with; If i load salt into a shotgun cartridge,and any part congeals into a particle,larger than .32 of an inch,i then need a firearm cert (NOT shotgun cert),to possess and use it...

...BUT,on the shotgun cert,i can have a deck gun,off a destroyer,smooth bore it,and use that....with appropriate shot filled cartridges...

It really is easier to send the rat a strongly worded e-mail...

And,i am surprised no one has mentioned re-homing the lady,until the rodent problem is sorted...she stands a MUCH bigger risk of contracting Weils disease,than any electrocution hazard...

Good point about the lady!

TBH it would be more cost effective to buy an air rifle and have some fun getting rid of the buggers. Then once gone, get a spark in to sort out the damage.

If you think an air gun is more fun than a sawn off shotgun and a brick of salt rounds you've lived a sheltered life. ;)

You're right about the old lady though, in fact if the rats are biting people then nobody should be living there until they're cleared.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice Needed Regarding Potential Rodent Damage To Electrical Cables/System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net