Discuss Advice Needed Regarding Potential Rodent Damage To Electrical Cables/System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sounds like a nightmare. You have my sympathies. I think I'd sell up and buy something newer :) Daz

As said before, I think you need to seek advice on eradication of these vermin, from a professional body, not from members on this electricians forum. Seems you have a huge hill to climb, to sort out this problem. As stated by others, the electrics seem fine for the moment, and I would suggest defer repairing damage to cables until the rats have been eliminated and how they are entering the property sorted. You could just turn off each 'main switch', to isolate the electrical circuits in the house, as no one is living there. Google 'Pest Control Forum UK'. Good luck, horrible things rats.

Hi,

Yes, thank you, I have a second pest controller that I have employed to deal with the rodent situation & after the first one screwed us.

He identified the problem straightaway & also brings a gun!! I am hopeful that this time, he will be able to advise when the house is rodent free. He is using traps to lure them out as once they eat poison & got back under cabinets, floors etc - the stench is just unbearable.

I am able to block of the main drain exit at the front of the house by means of a one way valve to stop the critters coming in but the manhole in the garden has two much smaller exits - one from our house & the other from my neighbours that will not accept a rat deterring one way valve so I need to ask the pest guy how these can be made vermin proof so they do not then use these to gain entry.

The main drains are 4" but these seem to be about 2.5"-3" so probably rainwater exits into the manhole?

I will now defer any electrical test until given the OK that the rodents are no longer an issue & am heartened to know it is safe to do this.

Thank You,

Bazzzy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Yes, thank you, I have a second pest controller that I have employed to deal with the rodent situation & after the first one screwed us.

He identified the problem straightaway & also brings a gun!! I am hopeful that this time, he will be able to advise when the house is rodent free. He is using traps to lure them out as once they eat poison & got back under cabinets, floors etc - the stench is just unbearable.

I am able to block of the main drain exit at the front of the house by means of a one way valve to stop the critters coming in but the manhole in the garden has two much smaller exits - one from our house & the other from my neighbours that will not accept a rat deterring one way valve so I need to ask the pest guy how these can be made vermin proof so they do not then use these to gain entry.

The main drains are 4" but these seem to be about 2.5"-3" so probably rainwater exits into the manhole?

I will now defer any electrical test until given the OK that the rodents are no longer an issue & am heartened to know it is safe to do this.

Thank You,

Bazzzy!

I'm not sure anyone can definitely say it is safe to leave as-is. I think it would be best to switch the supply off - who knows what damage has been to done to insulation/conductors. Daz

I'm not sure anyone can definitely say it is safe to leave as-is. I think it would be best to switch the supply off - who knows what damage has been to done to insulation/conductors. Daz

Hi,

I am still living here but have moved my mother out - one sister stays a few days - the other moved out faster than the Flash the moment she saw a rat & very thankfully, I have not seen her since!!

I am hoping that there might be a electrician member here who is well known & might be in/close to my area that can check things out for us, do that EICR test etc when the rodent issue has been sorted.

Thanks again,

Bazzzy!

We had a rat problem a couple of years ago, I called the council and they sorted it out. It took them about a month or two, they visited 4 times and only charged us 60 quid in total.

They used poison. I was concerned that we would end up with rotting rats in wall cavities, or something like that, but the council guy said that the poison makes them very thirsty so they go outside to find water and die outside. They've been gone for a long time now and I haven't seen or smelt any dead rats :)

You can find out if your council provides a pest control service if you want via this web site: https://www.gov.uk/report-pest-problem

I thought that they were just in the loft, they used to make a hell of a noise at night above our bedroom, but since they've gone I've found evidence that they were also elsewhere in the house - glad I didn't realise that until after they'd gone.

Hi,

Thank You,

Bazzzy!

Hi Bazzzy, you need to SWITCH FORUMS, turn off the electrics, LEAVE THE HOUSE, consult with your local council and eliminate the rats, before considering anything else.

Reply to Advice Needed Regarding Potential Rodent Damage To Electrical Cables/System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net