Discuss Advice on 'Cheaper' brand / for CU upgrades, PRS EICRs in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Would like some opinions.
We have quite a few CU upgrades to complete. These are PRS properties, and looking down the list, a lot will be TT.

Since Amd 3 we have used Hager CUs. Decent quality, also like the little meter tails clamp for TT. However, the cost is prohibitive, especially the RCBOs. These aren't 'landlord friendly'. I don't want to start sticking invoices in and lose the client.

I would like some opinions and possibly clarification on a few points.

Do not like Chint, Proteus, MCG. So, these are not an option.
Wylex and Crabtree are in the higher price bracket with Hager, so not an option.
(I forget the name) brand with the LED strip and tiny battery under the flap, a bit crap but a possibility. Not a fan of the extra E connection on RCBOs, and these seem to suffer from extreme tightening-wonkiness.

BG- used to use these (after they sorted out the stiff N bar terminals and buss terminals that wouldn't tighten). Reasonably priced.

Contactum- have reappeared? Used a few CUs recently, RCBOs cheap & no extra connection.

1. - What is everyone else using (for the price conscious client...)

2. - Have been using the little meter tail clamp on Hager dual RCD consumer units when they've been TT since amendment 3. Are others using this or / the insulated wiska glands for Tails on those brands that don't have the internal clamp? We intend to use the standard 100A main switch / dual RCD configuration boards on TTs- plus gland or clamp to tails. This in my opinion excludes those brands with the easily torn / damaged insulation on the internal links. Are any of you using 100mA S type RCDs on these setups?

3. - 18th Ed. course mentioned overload protection of RCDs, in that if the supply fuse is unknown, or 100A, the RCDs must be rated at 100A (or 80A at 80A etc). Is this right? The cheaper and populated CUs on the market still appear to utilise 63A rated RCDs, etc. I know this has been in a while, but we haven't had to worry about it until now!

Thanks.

A lot of people fit fusebox but not tried them myself. My budget go to is contactum and I've found them to be very good. I agree with you on mcg, proteus and I'll add mk and axiom. All cheap rubbish and have breakers that won't even sit straight. Wouldn't go near them if I was paid to.

Fusebox, lewden, and SBS trade sales will all give reliable low cost rcbo solutions.
SBS being DP RCBOs.

I have used all three brands and am happy with the quality for the price.
[automerge]1591542604[/automerge]
Yes overload protection must be given the RCCBs. Hager switched to 100A versions in their dual boards to negate this consideration.

I used to use Contactum but got a bit fed up with the RCBOs having earth leads to connect, making the board look a bit untidy.

So last few months, almost exclusively fitting Fusebox, mostly all-RCBO units and including the surge protection. Especially in small rental properties where there are often only a few circuits.

Thanks for your replies.
Incidentally, I've been looking a bit further into our choices...
Hager manufacturers recommendations state 100mA used or RCBO configuration if TT. So the handful of Hager dual RCD we've used on TT + tails clamp are possibly not quite right anyway...

A cheap Main Switch + RCBOs might be the way forward. Will have to just stock up on a variety! Our local wholesalers don't stock 'Fusebox'. Can anyone recommend a supplier? I've seen RCBOs under ÂŁ10 on some sites.. I do wonder if we might get what we pay for? (Hassle, basically)?

SBS look to be slightly more- mind "No flying leads"!

also consider BG with compact RCBOs. not earth lead, and a very cometive price. i get the compact RCBOs for ÂŁ15 odd inc. vat.

Any recommendations of an (online) supplier for either Lewden or Fusebox?

We have a CEF and two independants locally and none stock these.
Also, they randomly go out of stock for weeks at a time, and asking for RCBOs causes offence.

There are several online sellers of Fusebox including Gil-Lec, Expert Electrical, Thomas Electrical. Worth calling and asking for a discount, if you are buying a fair amount. You shouldn't need to pay more than about ÂŁ10 incl. VAT per RCBO.

Any recommendations of an (online) supplier for either Lewden or Fusebox?

We have a CEF and two independants locally and none stock these.
Also, they randomly go out of stock for weeks at a time, and asking for RCBOs causes offence.

Hi @NorthEastSpark, we supply Lewden via our online store. As a forum member you can also get an extra 5% discount. Just sign up for an account and add the code Forum1ST when prompted. Any problems and you can just drop me a quick message with the email you used to sign up for the account and I can look in to it.

LINK > Electrical2go Lewden Range

LINK > Electrical2go Circuit Protection

Cheers,
Ivan

Reply to Advice on 'Cheaper' brand / for CU upgrades, PRS EICRs in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net