Discuss Advice on new home EV charge point install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

New ill ( not used yet) of 7.5kw EV charge point.

New house consumer unit fitted 6months ago and fitted with 16mm tails as the main fuse was 80amp.

Electric company then come to visit to see if the installation is OK for an EV charge point.

They stay yes it is, but the main fuse is changed up to a 100amp. Seems odd to me!

Then the guy comes to fit a new small consumer unit that has surge protection and a double pole B40 circuit breaker.

They use 10mm tails to supply this unit connected just after the meter. (NOT from the house consumer unit). Just after the 100amp fuse.

The sticker on the side of their newly fitted consumer unit says there is an rcd inside that needs tested monthly, BUT there is no rcd here.

Is this the correct installation.

A few things seem very wrong to me.

Any constructive advice would be good.

Do you have an installation certificate?

Perhaps some images of charge point and new board might help in determining whether any issues exist. Lack of RCD protection in board isn't necessarily an issue, provided cable used is suitable for the installation and charge point provides its own earth leakage protection.

Do you have an installation certificate?

Not that I know of, but it's a friend of mine that had it installed. I will need to ask them at some point.
It's in preparation for getting an EV car next year. The people they are getting the car from are assisting with the installation of the charger.

Perhaps some images of charge point and new board might help in determining whether any issues exist. Lack of RCD protection in board isn't necessarily an issue, provided cable used is suitable for the installation and charge point provides its own earth leakage protection.

Here are some picsI don't have any pics of the actual charging point that has been fitted in thei.r garage

Attachments

• 20221203_191133.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221203_191418.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221203_191201.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221203_191122.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221203_191128.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 44
The 10mm tails are ok, are you sure it’s a double pole Mcb, not an rcd or rcbo?
edit, please ignore as it was posted before you put the pictures up!

It iarmoured cable that has been used from the new consumer unit to the garage. Not sure what section it is though.

Perhaps some images of charge point and new board might help in determining whether any issues exist. Lack of RCD protection in board isn't necessarily an issue, provided cable used is suitable for the installation and charge podoint provides its own earth leakage protection.

edit, please ignore as it

edit, please ignoreas it was posted before you put the pictures up!

Hi,

was posted before you

Hi,

do you think by the pe posted that all looks well?

Hi,

Hi, do you think

Hi,
do you think the install looks correct from the pics?

Is that cable to the charge point NYY-J or similar? I'm guessing it is from the stuffing gland and wouldd expect SWA if suppled from an MCB.

Hi, I haven't got a clue. They are a very elderly couple so I will need to wait until I visit again ,then I will check out the cable and get pics of the actual charging point in the garage. It might not be for about another week or so! I don't want to worry them about asking them those sort of questions. Thanks for your help up till now though.

I'm a trainee and merely postulating, but would expect combined RCD/overcurrent protection in lieu of an armoured cable.

It's possible the cable is armoured, but there's no earthing of armour at source and I'd be surprised if it was earthed at the charge point.

I'm a trainee and merely postulating, but would expect combined RCD/overcurrent protection in lieu of an armoured cable.

It's possible the cable is armoured, but there's no earthing of armour at source and I'd be surprised if it was earthed at the charge point.
It is definitely an armoured cable that has been used, I just don't know the spec of it. I will find that out in due course though. Thanks.

It is definitely an armoured cable that has been used, I just don't know the spec of it. I will find that out in due course though. Thanks.

If the cable is armoured, and the armouring earthed, then I'm not seeing any issue - provided it is suitably protected form overload by that 40A MCB.

If the cable is armoured, and the armouring earthed, then I'm not seeing any issue - provided it is suitably protected form overload by that 40A MCB.

I can see that they have not used a normal armoured gland at either end so I'm assuming the armour is earthed inside the consumer unit and inside the charger. Without taking the small consumer unit front off, w

ch would mean pulling the mai n fuse first,

They have not used normal armoured glands at either end so I'm assuming the cable is earthed inside the consumer unit and inside the charger. The only way to tell would be to take the front off the small consumer unit but that would mean pulling the main fuse and breaking the seal, so I probably won't do that.

Not the best location for the main intake fuse and consumer unit.

Very true, but not a lot can be done about that now. They did ask about relocating it a few years but got a huge price for doing it, so did not go ahead. None of the guys involved in this latest EV project have even mentioned the location as not ideal.

Reply to Advice on new home EV charge point install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net