Discuss ALL THE CHANGES IN NEW 18th EDITION - DETAILS FROM IET in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

As I have mentioned before I have been a Free Subscriber to the IET `Wiring Matters` Magazine for many years after being given a Free subscription by the then IEE after posing a question to them.

As you will know the Magazine is now an online version and I get regular Emails alerting me to each `publication`.

Today I received the latest of those Emails and there was a link to `The 18th Edition - an official list of all the changes` - I thought that this would be useful to Members - here is a link to the IET webpage:

Changes in the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations - IET Electrical - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/18th-changes.cfm?utm_source=Adestra&utm_campaign=Wiring%20Matters%20March%202018&utm_medium=Wiring%20Matters&utm_content=Wiring%20Matters%20Magazine%20quarterly%20technical%20news&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Felectrical.------.org%2Fwiring-regulations%2F18th-changes.cfm

There is a link on that webpage to download the details in PDF form.

I hope that this will be helpful to Members who might not know about the IET website.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Hello All,

As I have mentioned before I have been a Free Subscriber to the IET `Wiring Matters` Magazine for many years after being given a Free subscription by the then IEE after posing a question to them.

As you will know the Magazine is now an online version and I get regular Emails alerting me to each `publication`.

Today I received the latest of those Emails and there was a link to `The 18th Edition - an official list of all the changes` - I thought that this would be useful to Members - here is a link to the IET webpage:

Changes in the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations - IET Electrical - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/18th-changes.cfm?utm_source=Adestra&utm_campaign=Wiring%20Matters%20March%202018&utm_medium=Wiring%20Matters&utm_content=Wiring%20Matters%20Magazine%20quarterly%20technical%20news&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Felectrical.------.org%2Fwiring-regulations%2F18th-changes.cfm

There is a link on that webpage to download the details in PDF form.

I hope that this will be helpful to Members who might not know about the IET website.

Regards,

Chris

Go on,what was that question? :)

Go on,what was that question? :)

Hello PEG,

This happened many Years ago and I was getting conflicting opinions from a couple of Electricians:

It was a question about a Gas Combi Boiler which was installed in a large Bathroom and it was probably either before the Bathroom Electrical Zones were introduced or when they were first introduced.

The Combi Boiler would have been well out of what is now the Zone 2 area.

The Boiler controls could not be touched by people who were using the Bath or Shower cubicle and were `IN` the Bath or Shower - but they could be reached by someone putting one foot out onto the floor and reaching out to the Boiler.

It might seem ridiculous now but as I could not get a definitive answer from the Electricians I wanted to clarify whether any Regulation related to that / take advice from the IEE.

I did not want to have a situation where there was an Electrical Regulation breach regarding a Risk to people`s Safety and consequently a Legal liability if they stupidly decided to use the Boiler controls while having one foot out of the Bath or Shower.

As I expected the reply from an `Electrical Expert` at the IEE was that `if people could not touch the Boiler controls when they were IN the Bath or Shower then the Boiler position was acceptable` from an Electrical Safety / Electrical Regulations aspect.

The Electrical wiring to the Combi Boiler went directly from within the Boiler casing through the wall to the Kitchen where the Timeswitch was fitted.

Thanks for your interest PEG.

Thanks for giving an `Informative` for my post about the 18th Edition IET webpage.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
I got an email from the IET telling me I can get 35% off the 18th edition regs book when it's out. . . Full RRP is ÂŁ95 so I'll still be spending ÂŁ61 even after discount :(

Hello PEG,

This happened many Years ago and I was getting conflicting opinions from a couple of Electricians:

It was a question about a Gas Combi Boiler which was installed in a large Bathroom and it was probably either before the Bathroom Electrical Zones were introduced or when they were first introduced.

The Combi Boiler would have been well out of what is now the Zone 2 area.

The Boiler controls could not be touched by people who were using the Bath or Shower cubicle and were `IN` the Bath or Shower - but they could be reached by someone putting one foot out onto the floor and reaching out to the Boiler.

It might seem ridiculous now but as I could not get a definitive answer from the Electricians I wanted to clarify whether any Regulation related to that / take advice from the IEE.

I did not want to have a situation where there was an Electrical Regulation breach regarding a Risk to people`s Safety and consequently a Legal liability if they stupidly decided to use the Boiler controls while having one foot out of the Bath or Shower.

As I expected the reply from an `Electrical Expert` at the IEE was that `if people could not touch the Boiler controls when they were IN the Bath or Shower then the Boiler position was acceptable` from an Electrical Safety / Electrical Regulations aspect.

The Electrical wiring to the Combi Boiler went directly from within the Boiler casing through the wall to the Kitchen where the Timeswitch was fitted.

Thanks for your interest PEG.

Thanks for giving an `Informative` for my post about the 18th Edition IET webpage.

Regards,

Chris

Thank you, a worthy example of a possible situation,and an effort made to get a definitive answer.

I attempted to illicit,a similar answer,from Eon,regarding the thousands of meters,smart or dumb,they have fitted,at properties with RHT dual metering,where the meter fitters have altered the supply arrangements and left the owner with two separate means of isolation.

They can avoid this,by using a standard 4 pole isolator,which they do carry in their kit,but seem "reluctant" to fit. Some of their fitters do not even know,how to fit these.

After some attempted fobbing,they agreed to fit whatever i wanted,in the manner i requested it to be fitted.

I am pleased that the IET rewarded you,for bringing the clarification issue up...apart from the four separate lots of compensation,the ombudsman instructed Eon to pay the client...i got diddle! :eek:

Reply to ALL THE CHANGES IN NEW 18th EDITION - DETAILS FROM IET in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net