Discuss All these old tunes being quoted in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Country and Western, Tel?
Where have you been?
It's just "Country" now...so glad I spelled that right...
really tall blonde ladies and tiny wee blokes in big hats!

Non PC joke coming up...

No Tel he was taking the you know what
i know that. was just Scouse humour. jimmy riddle sounds like a country singer. you know some of these american singer names. like slim sh1tman.

Yes, Pete, and I really needed it!
[automerge]1567354824[/automerge]
Slim Pickins
[automerge]1567355010[/automerge]
Some of those USA golfers though...

Bubba Watson (really? Bubba?)
Brandt Snedecker
Kitten Woods
[automerge]1567355151[/automerge]
Please, Dan...stop this merging nonsense!
There's critical literary acclaim going to waste here!
(three, four, five...and)
POST!
[automerge]1567355173[/automerge]
BUGR!
Beat me again!

Last edited:
Devil's Advocate.

The old stuff isn't any "better" than new music. Its just a fondness for nostalgia. You cant say no one will remember todays music in 20 years time, because you just don't know.
There was just as much rubbish music in the sixties than there is now, but you don't remember them, just the good stuff.

The same thing was said about the 60's back in the 80's.... but people remember that just as fondly.

Even in the sixties, older people would have said "Rolling Stones??? its not as good as Glen Miller"
Would any of those bands have been so popular if it wasn't for the drugs they were taking at the time to make them more "cool"?

Music is music. Some not to everyones taste, but its entertainment.

there was some crap in the 60's, ( sandy shaw, silla black, dana, abba, etc.), OK. but a small percentage . these days it's all crap except for a few exceptions.

I am one to readilly admit,there is good music now,same as there as always been good music

Its just that in the sixties and seventies the new music was fresh,the class acts were far more abundant and the measure of great talent was more worthy

There is no comparison whatsoever between the standard generally of todays music and what was around in olden times
Its only comparable to those who did not experience those times

Yes, Pete, and I really needed it!
[automerge]1567354824[/automerge]
Slim Pickins
[automerge]1567355010[/automerge]
Some of those USA golfers though...

Bubba Watson (really? Bubba?)
Brandt Snedecker
Kitten Woods
[automerge]1567355151[/automerge]
Please, Dan...stop this merging nonsense!
There's critical literary acclaim going to waste here!
(three, four, five...and)
POST!
[automerge]1567355173[/automerge]
BUGR!
Beat me again!
Just click edit on your post instead - and add whatever it is you want to say to that. Why post 5 different posts in reply to the same thread one after the other?

I really feel like stirring this up a bit more.

There is no comparison whatsoever between the standard generally of todays music and what was around in olden times

Contradiction. whatsoever 100%.... generally means not quite 100%

there was some crap in the 60's, ( sandy shaw, silla black, dana, abba, etc.)

3/4 of them were Eurovision song contest acts. Is that your musical taste, tel?

The problem nowadays is overexposure. Too many radio stations, music tv and spotify, iTunes etc
The modern singer/songwriter such as Ed Sheeran becomes too big, they get played every two minutes on the radio and people become bored with them.

The "manufactured" boy band has been around forever. Ok, Lennon/Macartney wrote their own stuff, and sang and played instruments... but once they were signed to a label, they had to do what they were told. Wear this, go there etc...
The Monkees famously being the first labelled as "manufactured" but it went on before them.

The music industry has changed. Talent has changed. Is someone that can play guitar any more talented than someone who can take any recorded, electronic noise and samples to make an original song?
Its just progress/ innovation
[automerge]1567363471[/automerge]
Ok OK.… After killing this thread, I started watching TV... The MTV Video Music Awards....
What an absolute load of crap!

I take back everything I said. oldies are better. todays music is garbage:cool:

Last edited:
No! Sorry, Littlespark...but no!
Who can just sample and be legendary?
Who can be Jimi?
or

Pink Floyd?
or Rick Wakeman?

Unique talent will always breed pretenders...they may have appeal, but they are not original, imho.
However, as I am in my dotage, forgive me my nostalgia, please.
Ed Sheeran?
Pub singer!
good one, I grant you...and very talented at what he does, and he does move a younger generation, so he is an example of a new generation...
but the old rockers are still rocking...
Black Sabbath still on tour!

Not the class act they once were, nor Wishbone Ash, nor Argent...but they still fill the halls and the dance-floors and we who love them all still caress the vinyl they created...and it's not nostalgia, it's history.
Thise legends will last forever, and as I said earlier, they ar garnering a new following amongst the youngh, for a very good reason...they are great!

I dislike Ed Sheeran as much as I dislike the auto merge feature on here.

This from Instagram:
" My worst nightmare is Spotify randomly throwing out an Ed Sheeran song whilst I'm driving and then i crash and die but it keeps playing so the first responders think I was an Ed Sheeran fan and they tell my mum and I end up being cremated to fkn Shape Of You"

oh yes...we all dread that!

The late 60s-mid 70s saw a technical step cange in music with mixing, sampling, looping all becoming electronic and more common.

The whole game changed and the studio album became the be all and end all, bands had to up their game to play a lot of this stuff live, some they never really could.

They also had an opportunity to revisit past and extant genres and reinterpret them using modern techniques. The beatles The beatles (White Album) is held in such high regard as it really nailed this.

As much as i love this era they were increadibly fortunate to catch the crest of this technological wave, do it to death and set the stage for Punk.

There is much truth in what you say, GBDamo...
We were all incredibly fortunate to catch some amazing live stuff though...I well remember Yes performing Tales from Topographic Oceans live, and it was incredibly complicated...however, when they opened the second half with Roundabout, the roof nearly fell in!
and that was a fine piece of music, never surpassed!
Equalled, yes...but never surpassed.
That was the thing in those days...each classic was just that, a classic...no one better than another, each one a masterpiece!
How many of today's songs could command number one for 11 weeks? I know, it's all about downloads these days, but in the old days folks had to vote with their feet and money...
Oh, I'm just a dinosaur!
but...the music was better then!

Reply to All these old tunes being quoted in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock