Discuss Am I On Another Planet Or Something? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm not going to bore you with the details but Thursday I upped sticks and came to Minehead for a holiday by myself.

Great food, nice hotel, nice people and weather is fantastic.

I did pack my laptop and was hell bent on not using it here, HOWEVER...

My first day I walked the beaches, walked Exmoor and sat on the patio Thursday night taking in the sea air.

Then I went to bed.

Then the noise started.

It was like an old fashioned camera going off every 3 seconds. I searched the room that night and found nothing. Trust me I did a very good search.

After no sleep the first night I went looking further. I was placed on the second floor next to the lift.
I got in the lift, looked above it (that wasn't easy) and below it from the door below.
But no noise inside the lift, yet the noise was outside on every level.

Anyway I went out into Exmoor and walked for the day and thought I must of finally gone off my rocker.

When I went back to the hotel the noise is there again, every 3 seconds like an old camera.
I look up at the ceiling (which is full of wires/boxes.lights etc etc and noticed a smoke alarm was missing. I assumed this must be the problem so went and found the owners.

'The smoke alarms have been removed from every floor sir, because they all kept bleeping, it had annoyed the guests.
So I said, 'well that's all very well but what stops me burning to death in my sleep tonight because Joe Smith underneath me has decided to light some incense candles.
'Well we have not had a problem for over a year sir, and that's how long ago they were removed'

Now I thought things like this were governed somehow but obviously not. I'm really quite annoyed, so much so
I'm off now to sit and have a fat cigar sat right next to a big pile of dry logs situated up against the owners back garden gate.

I wasn't going to update any of this because without going off topic I only came away because I was getting stressed in Milton Keynes.
I've been sofa surfing for a few years and sometimes it does get really difficult. I had managed to save a few quid so thought I would treat myself, now you can actually go away to these places after lockdown.

I did sit and have a cigar by the wood pile which was stacked up against the owners fence.
And they did come out and say that they understood my concerns but one hot bit of cigar ash (by the way I hate smoking cigars) would set the place on fire and their is a strict 'no smoking sign to say you can't smoke within 50 metres of the hotel' I asked where the sign was and they replied at the top of the drive.

Anyway for whatever reason I apologised and said, 'I've only come away for a few days to get away from everything and explained like I did at the start of this post'
I said I wouldn't say another word about it because I had posted my concerns on a major UK electrician forums where they're are the most intelligent sort of people you could ever wish to meet.
I felt some form of relief because I didn't know what to do and I thought I would have to deal with it back in Milton Keynes, where I really don't want to be at this moment in time. I hate the place!

When I wake up this morning their is some bloke on a step ladder fiddling with the alarm. I tried to play the part where I was just some guest and said, 'morning mate, nice weather outside again, what's up with that'?

He replied, 'some ---- has disconnected the smoke alarms'
So I said, well I guess it kept going off and the noise was must of been annoying?

He replied, 'it's people like you having that approach which is why these places burn down and everyone burns to death'

With that I walked off and now feel as if I'm getting the blame for all of this. lol

I'm wondering now if I should go down Minehead town centre and buy one of them smoke bombs to make sure it works on the morning I leave?

I'm wondering now if I should go down Minehead town centre and buy one of them smoke bombs to make sure it works on the morning I leave?
Nah, go to the top of the High Street, keep going. 10 mins and you're in the middle of Exmoor and tranquility. If I wasn't on the school run today I'd drive over and join you for a beer.

Cant do right for doing wrong.

you need some false ID to say you are either the hotel trade association inspector or very high up in the fire service.

I expect hotels have to be licensed with the local council, and fire detection will be part of their conditions of license.

I despise places that put avoiding repairs above guest safety. I thought that kind of stuff only happens in run down Spanish resorts where the odd drunk takes a dive off a balcony, or the swimming pool water has floaters.

I said I wouldn't say another word about it because I had posted my concerns on a major UK electrician forums where they're are the most intelligent sort of people you could ever wish to meet.
Was completely with you until this point ?

Shocking how lax some places can be on fire safety though - and you did the right thing by raising it, albeit you clearly didn't need the hassle...

Moral duty . Nothing harsh about the deaths of people etc and knowing you might have been able to have done something . THings like have driven people to suicide
Looks like mentioning this forum post has done the trick:
When I wake up this morning their is some bloke on a step ladder fiddling with the alarm. I tried to play the part where I was just some guest and said, 'morning mate, nice weather outside again, what's up with that'?

He replied, 'some ---- has disconnected the smoke alarms'
Fair play to him for getting most likely causing a panic backstage and something is getting done about it.

Reply to Am I On Another Planet Or Something? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net