Discuss Am I using 12/3 cable from a switch to an outlet correctly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leadbenny

DIY
Reaction score
I'm installing a towel warmer and I thought I would include an outlet on the same cable because the towel warmer needs a junction box anyway. Can I run a 12/3 with both black/red hot, black attached to the switch, to the outlet connected to red, and continue the black to the towel warmer with all neutrals and grounds connected? It's 20 amp protected by a GFCI outlet upstream. See diagram for clarity:
12:3 wiring.jpeg

G
I'm installing a towel warmer and I thought I would include an outlet on the same cable because the towel warmer needs a junction box anyway. Can I run a 12/3 with both black/red hot, black attached to the switch, to the outlet connected to red, and continue the black to the towel warmer with all neutrals and grounds connected? It's 20 amp protected by a GFCI outlet upstream. See diagram for clarity:
View attachment 102737
Yes you can do that but it needs to be GFCI protected so come off the load side of the GFCI receptacle for you towel warmer and receptacle

Reply to Am I using 12/3 cable from a switch to an outlet correctly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views
I have an existing but unused 50A disconnect on the side of the house. It had been connected to an AC unit that got replaced. It has just 3...
Replies
Views
Right now I have a circuit in my living room with a GFCI on the lead outlet. For various reasons I want to change that outlet to a non-GFCI, put...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock