Discuss Another fuse board change post! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mynamesmatt

People will start to get bored of me soon!

So im changing my CU in a few days and im just about to buy all the materials.. just need a little help with direction

Ive already got an 18 way crabtree starbreaker, just need to fill it up and need some help with amp rating and protection

Firstly, i need two rcd's for the split load configuration.. im just a bit confused as to which ones i need..

Whats the difference between the crabtree rcd's that take up 2 spaces on the CU, compared to the one that takes up 3? hmm..

Also what ampage do i need to go for, 63a or 80a?

And is an 8kw shower ok on a 40a MCB?

thanks for the help guys

Do your cable calcs.
Read the regs.
What your budget allows for.

Think that about answers your question. Should any of that baffle you then I would get a electrician in to do it for you.

So im changing my CU in a few days and im just about to buy all the materials.. just need a little help with direction

Ive already got an 18 way crabtree starbreaker, just need to fill it up and need some help with amp rating and protection

Firstly, i need two rcd's for the split load configuration.. im just a bit confused as to which ones i need..

Whats the difference between the crabtree rcd's that take up 2 spaces on the CU, compared to the one that takes up 3? hmm..

thanks for the help guys

I'm not bored ....... shocked & flabbergasted maybe, almost speechless even, but not bored !!!

I'll tell you this bonny lad: If you're a spark & you have to ask questions such as this, your name should not be Mat .. it should be Mud !!

Now for Christ's sake .... get somebody who knows what they're doing to do the job for you !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon?

Are you registered with a scheme or going via LABC?

Have you done any testing and identified any remedial work?

Have you identified all the circuits and are the cables suitable for the loads?

cheers for the help guys! haha, not a lot of point asking questions on this forum i see..

well, you are asking some pretty basic questions that you should know the answers to if you are about to change a cU.

cheers for the help guys! haha, not a lot of point asking questions on this forum i see..

This is a electricians forum, you are doing electricians work, any one carrying out this sort of job should understand the basic principles. You seem to lack them.

Advice given to Mr DIY doesn't hurt anyone, but this sort of job could lead to a serious situation or even death.

I like many others will try and give as good advice as possible, which I think you will find I did in my first post on this thread. By all means continue asking but also be prepared for hearing things that you may not want to hear.

I have a picture somewher of a crabtree starbreaker with all 50A MCBS in it, with no RCDS.

This is a good idea as it stops mcbs tripping due to overload and you wont have any problems with those pesky rcd thingies!

Attachments

• Another fuse board change post! !cid_Image0162 - EletriciansForums.net
    !cid_Image0162.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 271
matt, we have been here before.... You admit you are not part P registered, yet seem to be doing loads of notifiable work in your house without really understanding the basics.
I realise that a few forum members have told you to do what you like in your own home, but the majority of us here are professional electricians who have spent a fortune on training, instruments, part P membership, and I don't think it is unreasonable of us to advise you to get a qualified, registered electrician in to do this notifiable work!

This is a electricians forum, you are doing electricians work, any one carrying out this sort of job should understand the basic principles. You seem to lack them.

Advice given to Mr DIY doesn't hurt anyone, but this sort of job could lead to a serious situation or even death.

I like many others will try and give as good advice as possible, which I think you will find I did in my first post on this thread. By all means continue asking but also be prepared for hearing things that you may not want to hear.

a read of his prev posts he's been a spark for 6 years,his words not mine,

thanks for the help guys

with regards to the rcd's that take up 3 modules, these are for the older starbreakers, back in the days when rcd were big strapping things, not like the weeds of today!
If you have an old board which i suspect you may have then check how many 'gaps' there are on the busbar to see if you need a 3 module

matt, we have been here before.... You admit you are not part P registered, yet seem to be doing loads of notifiable work in your house without really understanding the basics.
I realise that a few forum members have told you to do what you like in your own home, but the majority of us here are professional electricians who have spent a fortune on training, instruments, part P membership, and I don't think it is unreasonable of us to advise you to get a qualified, registered electrician in to do this notifiable work!

Guitarist I was one,but let me qualify my advise at that time
The advise I gave was in relation to the procedure for part p and the crazy situation where a spark can't do notifiable work in his own home without paying to Labc to do the job he is trained to do
I still believe in my opinion being valid on that particular subject

Having said the above,I also take at face value, a person comes on here and says he is a trained spark

He is,by asking the basic questions at the start of the thread, making me think that he may not be all that he declared,because a trained spark should be able to work out a rating for a shower mcb

Reply to Another fuse board change post! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock