Discuss any advice on fireman switches in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Never done one but I would assume it is some sort of contactor arrangement. I think they are only required for external neon signage aren't they?

Never done one but I would assume it is some sort of contactor arrangement. I think they are only required for external neon signage aren't they?

I'm presuming if it just switches off a certain circuit it would be wired to a shunt trip device. I could be wrong though.

Never actually fitted one but i do have a firemans key thats a cross between a socket extension bar and a allen key. Its useful for electric gates on carparks. A good way of getting in when you dont have a fob

it is s firmans switch in a block of flats i thought they just dropped the magnet from the door so they can get in but does much more the contactors would make sence but does it kill the power to the whole block

They used to be popular...as mentioned,an isolator for external,powered items,such as signage,barbers poles,etc.

They had an eyed lever,which was operated by a firemans standard pry (looks like a beefeaters pike)

A lot of yankee equipment,including a pool boiler i recently fiddled with,had a link included,in the wiring,to which the fireman's switch would be connected.

Thank you for your question,young apprentice,now all you need to complete today's lesson,is a sense of humour ;)

I think the highest rating is 40A.
So it can switch off supplies up to 40A, or a higher load if a contactor is used.

hi there iam just looking for a little advice on fireman switches on how they are wired and how they disconnect power cant find anything so just a little post here thanks for your time
Via a shunt trip or contactor arrangement

yeah say we are using contactors has everything to be de-energised via the contactor or is it only certain things to be de-energised the ones iam doing are diffrent than normal... as they need a constant feed to the flat door for it to open so its normally an open circuit that is closed when the switch is opperated but the client wants it so the door cant be left opend.

as they need a constant feed to the flat door for it to open

I would have thought that flat doors had to fail safe.
What happens if there is a power cut and the doors can't open? Or do they have battery back-up?

Reply to any advice on fireman switches in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock