Discuss Anyone know of a multicore clamp meter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kdvd72

-
Reaction score
Evening all
I find myself in need of a multicore current meter, much like the old Megger MMC850 (now sadly discontinued) for use at a data centre where I work. Anyone have any ideas at all, I'm stumped!
Megger stopped producing the MMC850 some years back (apparently due to lack of sales, somewhat surprisingly), and they're as rare as rocking horse sh!t to find used - I've tried.
It's for use in a rack by rack analysis in a computer room, so powering off and/or using specific test leads is a no-no.
So all suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers. :)

I read somewhere that meter didn't take on as to get a meaningful / consistent reading, the cable had to be positioned within a sweet spot within the jaw.

Perhaps if you detail what you are trying to achieve, there may be some other ideas thrown into the arena.

Not intentionally suggesting live working, however I'm guessing you have IEC60309 inlets on each server rack. Have you looked at the Fluke iFlex? Could you remove the cover of the inlet and use the iFlex around the line conductor? If so, you know you'll get an accurate reading, which I'm not sure you would with the MMC850.

I've got the Kyoritsu 4200 which does up to 30a apparently but have only used it for earth resistance so couldn't say if it's any good
Just had a quick look at the spec sheet, that doesn’t do what the OP is asking, the Megger 850 supposedly measures current by clamping all cores, as opposed to the normal way of clamping just the line, as with any standard clamp meter.

The Megger MMC850 did give variable results, but if you were careful to rotate the cord within the jaws it was easy to figure the maximum/actual current being drawn. I had one for use in the data centres I was responsible for. A good bit of kit and very handy for certain situations.

I'm not aware of any replacement with the same capability, so setting up a search on eBay to alert you any second hand ones being sold might be the only option.You might also search for the Megger Flexiclamp, which was its predecessor and had the same capability to measure the current in multicore cables.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input to date guys - much appreciated. I wanted to use this to test draw on both the feeds going into rack PDUs, and also the individual kettle leads going to each server/cpu/switch in the racks, and as I said, powering down isn't an option.

Seems as though I may just need to make a break out box up with a panel mounted energy meter on it, with through leads. The items in the racks are almost exclusively dual fed, so could do this without too much drama, as long as it wasn't left single fed for any duration.

Again, thanks for all the comments. :blush:

Thanks @Pete999 and @telectrix : I see now this was the device referred to above that replaces the old Megger MMC850. That's great! I'll chase that up, many thanks. Involved in a campaign to measure power useage in markets in West Africa, and wanted to make sure we get the right kind of clamp meter.

Thanks @Pete999 and @telectrix : I see now this was the device referred to above that replaces the old Megger MMC850. That's great! I'll chase that up, many thanks. Involved in a campaign to measure power useage in markets in West Africa, and wanted to make sure we get the right kind of clamp meter.
Can have mine for 40 notes

Reply to Anyone know of a multicore clamp meter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock